dovecot and procmail

Discussion in 'Technical' started by dogar, Aug 6, 2007.

1. dogar

dogar New Member

hi all

i want to know that "Is it necessary to use procmail and dovecot at the same time with postfix" or i can use only one out of them... i search it too much on the web but not find any value able information.

2. geekman

geekman New Member

Postfix is your SMTP server which is used for sending out emails, dovecot on the other hand while still being part of a mailserver instead handles IMAP/POP3 which are two different things. So yes in order to run a proper mailserver you would need both of these, thats not to say you need to use these products specifically (I use postfix/courier) you simply need to be running applications that are capable of handling the SMTP and IMAP/POP protocols. As for procmail I don't run that on my mailserver (at least to my knowledge :p) but I believe it is basically used to process or filter (sort) incoming and outgoing mail on the server, it possibly also needs to be used in conjunction with something else. A thing like this isn't necessary in order to run a mailserver but I would certainly recommend something of the kind.

Thanks.

3. dogar

dogar New Member

hi geekman

i am very thankfull to u for this kind information.hope u will be here for more help and guidance.thanks again..

bilal

4. dogar

dogar New Member

hi all

i have installed procmail. and i do not know that "how i can check that is procmail is working or not"

bilal

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can check your mail log. Ususally it says something like "... delivered to /usr/bin/procmail" if procmail is used.

6. dogar

dogar New Member

hi falko
    i am very thank full to u i got value able information.i need some more help coz my procmail dose not filtrinig mails.

my configration files are places on these placess

.forward file at /home/.forward
    and its syntex is

"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #[email protected]"

and .procmailrc is located at /home/.procmail/.procmailrc
    its syentex is
    # .procmailrc
    # routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes
    PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
    MAILDIR=$HOME/Makedir

PMDIR=$MAILDIR

LOGFILE=$HOME/.rocmail/procmail.log
    LOGABSTRACT=no
    SHELL=/bin/sh

#####################

}

# unwanted subjects
    :0 D
    * ^Subject.*(READ THIS)
    {
    EXITCODE = $EX_UNAVAILABLE
    :0 i
    $SPAM
    }

due to above racepe porocmail must filter the mails having subjects like "read this " type of mails

but it not working ...

plz help

bilal

7. falko

You must place .forward and .procmailrc in the user's homedir.

8. dogar

dogar New Member

it mean that i have to make these files for every user OR as i enable in my main.cf file mail_owner=postfix can i have to make a user named postfix??? and placed these files to this users home directory?
    OR can i place them to root?

9. falko

For every user that you want to use this procmail recipe. But you could also create a global recipe, /etc/procmailrc, which is used if not .procmailrc is found in the user's homedir.
    And instead of creating a .forward file in each user's homedir, you can simply put
    Code:
    mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail
    into /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix.

10. dogar

dogar New Member

hi falko
    how r u.
    due to kind guidness my procmail startng to work.but there are still some problems.

The problems are as follows.

1- my .procmailrc file and .forward file is in root home diractory but it not working.

2- the second one is that when i mail from user to root it not work

please help me ...

bilal

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  11. falko

Please check /etc/aliases of mails for root are redirected to another user.

12. dogar

dogar New Member

postfix could not send mail to web

hi falko
    how are you.I got valueable information from you. I am very thankful to you.
    i got a new problem that my mail server postfix could not able to send mail over the web e.g i want to send mail to a persion who is using mail address at yahoo.com.what i need to do.I am already using a DNS in my resolv.conf

hope you replay me soon

bilal

13. falko

Please check if your server got blacklisted: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Also, do you have an SPF record for your domain?

14. joangopan

joangopan New Member

Postfix+Dovecot+Procmail+Spamassasin

In my work have mail server...

Postfix is STMP Server... send Emails
    Dovecot is POP/IMAP Server receive Emails
    Procmails is a Mail Filter
    Spamassasin is a No SPAM server...

Serch a How To in Google for one of this servers and final how to intragrate this servers togueter...

:) hope this help

15. ebal

ebal New Member

dovecot support sieve (A Mail Filtering Language)

so you can get out the procmail (i never liked it)