Dovecot "issue" unknown user

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by RobPatton, Jul 3, 2024.

1. RobPatton

RobPatton Member

Server running fine, passing traffic as it should, BUT logs show a couple weird things

I have 1 user of the mail server that uses Outlook. When this user checks email, dovecot replies:

dovecot: authworker sql(user,ip,<stuff>): unknown user
    dovecot: authworker sql(user,ip,<stuff>): unknown user
    then
    dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=ip, lip=10.0.2.4, mpid=29215, TLS, session=<ten30FocvcxoiLwh>

this happens EVERY time the user checks email, and ONLY seems to happen when the client is Outlook. Does not happen with thunderbird.

So while it does tend to create more logging than needed, its not really a problem. Just wondering if there is some config change that I can make to reduce the logging.

I assume its Outlook, and I've tried a few things in it, but never seem to make it go away. Switching user to Thunderbird DOES fix it, User insists on outlook.

Suggestions?

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is that every time that the client connect? I can only imagine that the Outlook client is not configured propperly and trys some kind of auth mechanism that is not valid in dovecot and then falls back to another auth mechanism that works. May check the client and verify if that happens with all Outlook clients

3. RobPatton

RobPatton Member

Yea, I assumed its something wrong with its config, but I've wiped it and setup again, and nothing seemed obvious.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

On the other hand, if it works and no error shows up in Outlook, you might just ignore it.

pyte likes this.
  5. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You could enable verbose/debug logging in dovecot but i'm on the same page as till, i would not even care if there is no impact at all and it's just messages in the log.