Dovecot Sieve redirect policy limit

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by shaund1965, May 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. shaund1965

shaund1965 New Member

Hello.
    I am experiencing an issue with the default number of forwards allowed by sieve. I am running ISPConfig version 3.1.15p3 on Centos 6.10.
    If I use more than 4 forward either via the "Send copy to:" field on the mailbox form or via the "Custom Rules" configuration, I receive a
    Code:
    main_script: line 9: error: number of redirect actions exceeds policy limit.
    error in my .sieve.log file.
    Googling around for this, I see that you should be able to increase this limit by adding
    Code:
    sieve_max_redirects = 25
    in the dovecot configuration. Adding this to a configuration file in the /etc/dovecot/conf.d directory and restarting dovecot does not resolve the issue. Looking at the /etc/dovecot.conf file seems to indicate that these include files are not included with dovecot. Running
    Code:
    dovecot -n
    verifies this.
    If I add
    Code:
    sieve_max_redirects = 25
    to /etc/dovecot.conf, I still receive the same error. Any suggestions please?
    Kind Regards.
    Shaun

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When changing through dovecot.conf, does the change reflect when running dovecot -n?

3. shaund1965

shaund1965 New Member

Hi Th0m.
    When I ran dovecot -n I saw that I had edited the wrong dovecot.conf file. I edited /etc/dovecot.conf as opposed to /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf. However, when I added sieve_max_redirects = 25 to the correct file and try to restart dovecot, I get
    Code:
    Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 9: Unknown setting: sieve_max_redirects
    . Any ideas?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you have to set this inside the plugin { .... } section of the file.

5. shaund1965

shaund1965 New Member

Thanks Till. I put in in the plugin {.....} section and it works a treat.