Dovecot support in svn

Discussion in 'General' started by sh1ny, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sh1ny

sh1ny New Member

I saw in the latest svn changes that there is a dovecot support implemented. How completed it is ? I am currently running ISPConfig svn ( r1512 ) on Ubuntu 8.04 with courier. I am eager to switch from courier to dovecot. Can i get an advice on how should i proceed ? What dovecot version should i use ? I have a lot of dovecot servers running and i'd prefer 1.2 over 1.1. The mailbox conversion is not a problem i am just more interested if the functionality of the panel works and specific steps that i should take during upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not switch a running ispconfig system from courier to dovecot as the dovecot implementation uses a different maildir layout. Also dovecot support is only available for debian 5.0 with the dovecot version that is delivered with debian 5.0.

Do not use SVN versions for anything except development as svn version contains a lot of untested code and may even contain syntax errors or delete data on your servers. SVN versions shall never be used for a production system.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  3. sh1ny

sh1ny New Member

As i said , the maildir layout is not a problem :)

One thing that could help me switch from svn to release version is if you include the svn revision of the release in the archive name or something similar, so i can update through svn to "this rev no - 1" then update with stabe :) I needed the powerdns support quite fast, and a couple of other things, witch have pushed me on the edge :) Now that i have them i'd convert back to next stable...if i know exactly which revision it is :)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Stable is a different branch then svn trunk, so switching back is not that simple as trunk may even contain features or database tables that never gets released as stable and when you run a stable version update then on a svn install, you will loose the database contents.