Dovecote :: Zlib

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 30uke, Jan 6, 2019.

1. 30uke

30uke Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

Currently I am using other products like DirectAdmin, Plesk and cPanel. I don't have much experience with ISPconfig, so I bought the book (PDF:ISPConfig 3.1 Manual). I did read that Debian was supported, so I spun up a VPS and installed Debian 9 + ISPconfig 3.1.13.

In the meantime I have my server running (s1.gigabitjes.nl). And I remembered that cPanel has this feature where I can compress the mail dirs. This saves quite some space as most data is just text.

I would like to know if someone is actively using Zlib for Dovecot in production using ISPconfig.
    Is the correct method to add the required configuration in the folder [ /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/mail ] ?
    I did read the details at [ wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib ] and also read [ extremeshok.com/6092/postfix-enable-compression-zlib-plugin/ ]. But it's not clear to me what the best method is to enable this and to compress existent e-mails.

Hopefully someone uses this and is willing to share :) Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, this folder is for mail templates only.

To customize the postfix config, you do this:

1) Edit the /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file to suit your needs.
    2) make the config update-safe by:

- Dowloding ispconfig 3.1.13 tar.gz, unpack it, copy the matching config file temolate (in case of Debian 9 it is install/tpl/debian6_dovecot2.conf.master) too /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/ and modify the template in the same way that you modified dovecot2.conf file. This ensures that the modified template is used when you update ispconfig the next time.

30uke likes this.
  3. 30uke

Thank you very much.

4. 30uke

I did add Zlib to Dovecot's config and ran some tests. Gzip compression seems to be helpful to reduce the file size of e-mail messages. The ratio for HTML formatted messages is over 40 percent.

5. 30uke

Thanks. I will check the templates and compare these with the current configs - as I did manually edit Dovecot, Postfix and Apache2.