Dual IPSConfig servers

Discussion in 'General' started by FredZ, Jul 11, 2010.

1. FredZ

FredZ Member

Hello all

Looking at moving away from my current configuration to ISPConfig 3

I have some questions before I attempt this.

Please bare in mind I am very new to all this and am probably not as knowledgeable as I probably should be.

Here is what I would like to achieve.

Primary and secondary servers:
    This means the secondary server is a backup NS/MX server to the primary server. The primary server hosts everything. In actual, fact if I could get the secondary server to be a complete replica of the primary then that would be fantastic as it would mean that if the primary server went down no services would be lost. I suspect there are replication (data consistency) issues if a site was edited whilst the secondary server was the active server.

It would be desirable if the secondary server could host the mail of one of the domains setup on the primary server but all other services remained on the primary server. This would be a local office mail setup.

Currently I am hosting only 10 domains, but I am constantly buying domains. Hosting them myself is far cheaper than having them hosted. Several sites are several gigs in size as they host streaming media.

Is what I am wanting to do capable within ISPConfig 3 and if so, where can I find information that would help me set this up?

Regards

Fred

2. FredZ

FredZ Member

It seems my question probably should have been asked.

I have now built 2 ISPConfig3 servers (identical except for names).

Now I am looking for the docs to tell me how to set things up, like how to manage both servers from a single console, and how to generally configure stuff.

Regards

Fred

3. Romoku

Romoku New Member

I've been messing around with the ISPConfig. I at least know how to mirror it.

On your second server, if you have ispconfig installed, uninstall it. Run the installer again in expert mode.

Use your database settings and such and you will be prompted to join the server with your first one.

Note: You need to make a mysql user with privileges to the ispconfig database on server 1 that server 2 can connect with.

It should work okay.

You don't need to install the web interface or any option you do not want to replicate.

You can now go into your ispconfig on server 1 and select server 2 from the System -> Server Services. Check all that applies and use the dropdown box to mirror it.

As for replication.

I did a bit a digging and falko posted about mysql replication that would achieve the replication aspect.

http://www.howtoforge.com/mysql_database_replication

I'm sure we can get it to work properly.

Hope this helps.

-Romoku

4. FredZ

FredZ Member

Thanks for the comments, but that installation requires that both servers share the same database. Assuming the database is on server1 and it becomes unavailable for any reason that would make both servers unavailable defeating the purpose of replicated servers.

This was one of the many reasons why I didn't go for ISPConfig when I first installed my network.

I will put in a feature request.

Meanwhile I will stay with what I have.

Regards