Duplicate Email address. Login is already taken.

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by kommid, Sep 4, 2023.

1. kommid

kommid Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I just deleted an email address in ISPConfig 3.2 and after waiting for the cron to do all the updating, I tried to created it again, but now it says: Duplicate Email address. Login is already taken.
    I looked in the vmail directory and the mailbox folder is still there.
    How can I get rid of the old version of the email address in order to newly create it?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you get this error when adding a new mailbox in ISPConfig? Then, this email address must still exist in the ISPConfig database, either as a mailbox or email alias or email forward. If you do not see it in the interface when logged in as admin user, then you might have applied a filter in the list that filters out the record.

3. kommid

Yes, I get this error when adding a new mailbox in ispconfig. There is no filter except for the domain it belongs to. It doesn't show up in the list, when I have no filter applied and there is neither an alias nor is there a forward with the address in question. Also in /var/vmail/domainname there still is a folder named after the username. When I search the ISPConfig database for the domainname, I get hits in mail_domain, mail_forwarding (just the webmaster account), mail_user (email address in question) and in sys_session, so definitely no forward or alias....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  4. till

If the address is in mail_user, then it has not been deleted. Take care to login as admin user, he sees all records from that table, delete the mailbox in the mailbox list by clicking on the delete icon in the table ow of that address.

5. kommid

OK, just this entry? No dependencies? Because the directory in /var/vmail is still there too...

6. till

The directory will get removed when you delete the mailbox using ISPConfig. Do not manually delete it in the database with phpmyadmin.

7. kommid

ok,
    OK, I think we have some misunderstanding here: I'm logged in as admin allready and the user doesn't show up in ispconfig even though the user is still in the database. I need to get it out of the database and off the disk in order to re-create it. I tried to delete it before using ispconfig, it disappeared from the list but it's still there somwhere, because I can't create it once more

8. till

That's really strange as the email address must show up in the GUI as admin when it's in the database table. If you logged out and in again and it still does not show up. Then delete it manually in the db and delete the folder in the filesystem.

9. kommid

OK, logging out and in again did the job. The user now shows up in the list. I already re-logged yesterday but without success - strange....

10. till

This means you must have had a filter criteria in the list somehow, as that's stored in the session.