DVD drive problem- sr_mod is used while i want ide-cd(old pata) module work!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by praka123, Nov 9, 2007.

1. praka123

praka123 New Member

Hai there,
    I am using Ubuntu Gutsy/Debian Sid on one of the machine with 2.6.20-386 kernel on an intel HT 2.8Ghz machine.after installation the same problem of ide-pata dvdwriter detected as/or emulated as scsi by new libata drivers using module sr_mod and set device as /dev/sr0.
    So,I modprobed ide-cd and blacklisted sr_mod forcefully(yes using /etc/modprobe.d/00.local) and added ide-cd to /etc/modules file.then the cdrom is not detecting :( something to do with udev?.So Is there any way to make Ubuntu udev and other systems to make ide-cd as the module for cdrom
    I know there is the kernel initrd image that too have something to do with sr_mod been used for my dvdwriter.but i need hdparm and to enable DMA,the old drivers.
    Somebody can help me?Thanks all
    Yes.I want to prioritize ide-cd as the module to be used.Dont know how can i achieve this.I know custom kernel compiling helps.still..some way to use old ide pata drivers :)

Thank You

2. archerjd

archerjd New Member

I think you are right about the initrd image.
    The drivers you are talking about are loaded at boot time and must be included in the initrd image.

The following link should help.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/3971