DVD playing problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Thomas36, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Thomas36

Thomas36 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am using Fedora 14 -64bit. I have a DVD recording of a Video which is about 'art'. (not musical). This will not play in 'Movie Player'. The message I get says Codecs required -
    "Windows media video 9 decoder" and "Gstreamer streaming media framework "BAD" ".
    I was also informed that the following Plugins were required - "mpeg-2 video decoder" and "dvd ac-3 (atsc a/52) decoder". In each case I had the option to immediately search for these which of course I did and the answer came back saying that the codecs/plugins were already installed.
    Can anyone throw any light on this problem?
    Thank you.
    NEW OPTION
    My son, who uses 'Windows' had the same problem and downloaded 'VLC MEDIA PLAYER', this solved the problem. I have tried to download the program from rpm fusion but keep getting the message "SYSTEM.RELEASE>=18" . Once more I am lost. My current program is 'Movie Player,' Can someone please help me to download vlc media player or even something similar.
    Thank you all in advance
    Regards
    Thomas36.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. Thomas36

Thomas36 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestions; unfortunately the reply each time was "failed". I am posting another query appertaing to the same problem.
    Regards
    Thomas36