Dynamic DNS and DNS Manager

Discussion in 'General' started by tristanlee85, Jan 23, 2010.

1. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

I set my router up with dyndns.org and it shows it is working. Now, how do I configure ISPConfig with this?

For instance, in the DNS Manager, I go to the A records of my domain. Do I replace all of those IP address for the record with the dyndns.org hostname? The problem I have right now is that whenever my IP changes, I have to go into the DNS Manager and change the IP address of the domain, and then change the IP address from all the A records. While my IP doesn't change often, it is something I want bypass to avoid downtime.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Instead of creating A records, you can use CNAME records that point to your dyndns.org hostname. (But please note that MX records must always point to A records, not CNAME records!)

3. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

Ok, so I have 2 MX records: ns1.cfcoding.com and ns2.cfcoding.com. I need to make sure I have A records for "ns1" and "ns2" that point to my IP and the rest can be CNAME records?

So for a CNAME record, the hostname would be "cfcoding.dyndns.org", but what would I put for the target? Since I only host 1 domain with ISPConfig (cfcoding.com), would that be my "target" and all hostnames of that domain will route accordingly? Or do I need CNAME records for all my hostsnames?

Example:
    Hostname: cfcoding.dyndns.org Target: temp.cfcoding.com
    Hostname: cfcoding.dyndns.org Target: www.cfcoding.com

4. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

Sorry for the additional reply, but now I am wondering how this is all going to work with a dynamic IP. My domain on GoDaddy, I specify my nameserver as ns1.cfcoding.com and ns2.cfcoding.com and then for my host summary, I enter in my server's IP address for ns1 and ns2. This is all done on GoDaddy's end.

Then, back on ISPConfig in the DNS Manager, I have my cfcoding.com domain with an IP address (that will probably change in a week) and then A records for my nameservers and then CNAME records for my other hostnames.

If my IP address changes, I have to alter my host summary on GoDaddy and change the IP there, and then go into ISPConfig and go through the DNS Managers and change all my IPs there. By the time I get all this changed, my sites have been down for 2 days now.

Am I over-looking a seamless solution for a dynamic IP?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

First, it's a bad idea to run nameservers on a dynamic IP, so you shouldn't do that!

It's the other way round:
    Hostname: temp.cfcoding.com Target: cfcoding.dyndns.org
    Hostname: www.cfcoding.com Target: cfcoding.dyndns.org

If cfcoding.dyndns.org is an A record, you can let your MX records point to cfcoding.dyndns.org.