E-Mail abuse and postmaster

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sunghost, Jul 27, 2016.

1. sunghost

sunghost Member

Hello,
    i check to migrate from my actuale control panel to ispconfig 3.1. What i see is, that there is no autocreating mailadress for abse@ and postmaster@. My questions are:
    1. How do you handle this addressess?
    2. If i want use both like the rfc says, can i simple create those under client email and as email forward?

thx

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

These are normal addresses like any other email address, so you can add them as aliases or mailboxes if you want to use them.

3. sunghost

sunghost Member

Hi Till,
    sounds good. And i think i will create a alias like this seems to be the normal way. It would be nice if ICPConfig could create important adresses like abuse and postmaster perhaps webmaster too, per default als allias or have an option to do so. <- just an idea :)

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

If you don't otherwise handle postmaster, I believe postfix will make it work for you, though it'll probably be sent to your server's root account. I don't believe it does that for abuse though, for which you could likely create an abuse wildcard alias (eg. in postfix aliases file) to send it somewhere.

If IPConfig were to create those aliases automatically, where would it forward those to? Eg. we have domains which don't use any email at all; I'll set a hard fail for all SPF record for them, and don't care to get any mail to addresses on them (eg. even spam complaints to abuse would be sent to the wrong place, as they don't send any email so couldn't be the source of spam).

There are other domains where I've gone and created abuse accounts for a customer to forward complaints to the right place. Maybe the real issue isn't automatically creating them, but calling attention to the need for them and making it easy for customers to point them somewhere?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  5. sunghost

sunghost Member

I think your right, mails goes to root.
    Yes your right, there are situations where you dont need that. Perhaps its auto forward to the sysadmin, so he get informed about mail abuse or like that. perhaps there is only a option for the client to create that as alias for an existing mailaccount. my view is from an beginner or a user who only have a website and have no knowledge about web and mail techniques. its difficult..