E-mail problems, username\adress

Discussion in 'General' started by Hagforce, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Hello.

I use ISPConfig on my web server.
    I got about 400 e-mail adresses there (most of them under one domain).

All has worked perfect, but I got som feedback from users now that makes me think there is a problem.

Some user witch has e-mail adress: [email protected] and username tommy recives mails ment for [email protected] and username tommyt.

Any ideas?.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Thank you till.

I see in virtusertable that some users have the same username bot not same e-mail adress.
    I use dovecot.

I gusess this is what messes tings up.
    But I thought ISPConfig didn`t allow duplicate usernames.

What happend?

4. till

I guess this are no duplicates. Usernames may apper more then once in virtusertable, as they are a email address to username mapping. Only if complete names (email address + username) are duplicated, it may ahve a negative effect.

5. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Ok.

So:

[email protected] johnj
    [email protected] johnj
    [email protected] johnj
    [email protected] johnj

is no problem.

But

[email protected] johnj
    [email protected] johnj
    [email protected] johnny
    [email protected] johnny

is a problem.

I also see that som adresses remain in virtusertable that is not in use, is it safe to just delete these from the file manualy?.

When a user wants to thange his adress I just click on the user and change the adress.
    Should I delete the user and make a new one?.
    As it seems that the old adress remain in virtusertable if I do it the easy way.

I see that I actualy have som duplicate adresses as in exmple 2.

6. till

Please try to delete the user, wait 1-2 minutes, then empty the recycle bin. Is the user then still lsited in the virtusertable?

If yes, check the database table isp_isp_user if such a user is there still listed.
    If not, create the user again.

7. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

The duplicate e-mail adress is only in virtusertable, not in ISPConfig.

Should I just delete it directly from virtusertable and save the file?.
    Can I use any txt editor for this?.

And did I understand you right, dulicate usernames is no problem, only e-mail adresses?.

8. till

Yes, but this wont help you for long because ISPConfig will override your manual changes. But you may try if it fixes your problem. You changes will not overriden until you change a user in ISPConfig the next time.

yes.

9. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Hmm....

Now I have deleted the users, checked that there are no records left in database and virtusertable.

I created user: johnm e-mail: [email protected]
    And user: john e-mail: [email protected]

The mail system the directs e-mails for [email protected] and [email protected] to user john.

I use TPS FC4 in your how to.
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4
    With postfix and dovecot.

I see that ISPConfig does not allow duplicate usernames.

Is it a bug that this goes wrong.

Shoud it be impossible to add a user with username john when the e-mail adress [email protected] exists?.

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's correct. That's why there is a user prefix in ISPConfig by default so that something like this doesn't happen.

11. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Ahhh

So the problem is that I have taken away the user prefix like "web16".

I didn`t realize that this could cause severe problems like this.

What should I do......

12. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Put the domain prefix back.

Why dont you use alias instead diferent accounts? if the user is the same you can use just one user and add all the needed alias.

13. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

The user is not the same one, but with 400+ users it might happen that username and e-mail adresses cross.

Maybe an idea to implement a check for this in future versions of ISPConfig?.
    So that if user: johnm e-mail: [email protected] exists and I try to add user: john e-mail: [email protected] I get an error message explaining this....

I also have several domains on my server, does users on different domains interfear with each other, or are they seperate?.

And if I use e-mail alias, will I then get a message if a e-mail adress or alias already exists.

I could check all users now for crossing between e-mail adresses and usernames manualy, and put a domain prefix back, guess that it will be the solution?.

14. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Its illogical to repeat usernames. The best way to do it is to put "[DOMAIN]." as user prefix so the usernames will be "domain.user".

I dont know if ISPCofnig check aliases, till?, enlight us :D

15. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

ISPConfig doesn't check /etc/aliases, but it checks existing usernames.

16. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Thanks Falko :) i believed so..

17. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Ok.

Then I guess it`s not a good idea to use aliases in domins with wery many users, could be a mess.

Is there any plans for Implementing check for aliases and crossing usernames and e-mail adresses falco?.

18. till

It is not planned yet, but I put it on the todo list.

19. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Great! :)