Editing /etc/aliases

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by sph33r, Sep 15, 2006.

1. sph33r

sph33r New Member

Pretty simple question.. I'm a little confused on the /etc/alias entries. I know some of them are needed but things like postmaster:root and webmaster:root are just in there for the purpose of guaranteeing the delivery of [email protected] right? Can I get rid of those and let Postfix bounce them without any ill done to the mail delivery system?

2. willebanks

willebanks New Member

Hi sph33r,
    To honest it would be better to set yourself up to get all the "root" mail or at least the odd stuff like webmaster or admin...that way you would be certain to get all the mail. Just in case something important was sent!
    I don't think deleteing aliases would hurt but why take the risk when its just as easy to forward everything to your email address!

willebanks

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, comment out those lines or delete them, then run
    Code:
    newaliases
    But as willebanks said, it's better to keep those entries and forward the mails to one of your email accounts so that you see when something is wrong.

4. sph33r

sph33r New Member

Ok I've forwarded them away from root and to another email account. Thanks a lot guys.

5. jeffsss

jeffsss New Member

so i forgot to backup my /etc/aliases before i did cat txtfilewithmailmanaliases > /etc/aliases
    believe i didnt use >> because now i only have the mailman aliases in there.
    could someone please share the default aliases please so i can readd them