email backups

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by jpcyrenne, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jpcyrenne

jpcyrenne Member HowtoForge Supporter

Good day,

Are emails backup up in the users profile job on ISPConfig? I see it backs up Web and DB in 2 separate jobs. I want to be sure emails are backed up also. I have a customer that only wants a few email accounts. There is only web in /var/www/clients/ (no clients/Maildir).

I've seen from a previous post : /var/vmail. I guess I can tar.gz that whole folder. Or do it manually for /var/vmail/site.com or even /var/vmail/site.com/user/Maildir
    ref : https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/ispconfig3-what-to-backup.32789/

If emails are not backed up automatically with the backup job, what do you recommend? Setting up a cronjob manually? I guess I somehow answered my own question! Still interested on your view and opinion.

Thank you,

JP Cyrenne

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A backup function for email ahs been developed for ISPConfig 3.2, so in the current version, emails are not part of the backup.

Normally you should have a full system backup already, e.g. with duplicity, so you can restore emails from that backup. If you want to have an additional email backup, then create a cronjon that backs up /var/vmail, this flder contains all mailboxes.

3. Honza

Honza Member

Sorry to bump an old thread by I noticed that email backups are already listed in version 3.1.11 - is it stable or more like a "beta" ?

4. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. Honza

Honza Member

I noticed that the filename of the backup is not quite clear as well as the folder - it just says mail7 for folder and mail2_date_of_creation.tar.gz for the filename if I ever need to restore the backup manually what is the best way to identify which mailbox is which?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The number is the domain id from mail_domain table.

7. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you have mailX/mailY_date... where X is the domain_id from mail_domain and Y the mailuser_id from mail_user

till likes this.