Email forward ...

Discussion in 'General' started by BorderAmigos, Jun 4, 2009.

1. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

The email forward seems to work fine except that that it deletes the mail on the server by default. Can a check box be added to give the option of leaving the mail on the server when it is forwarded?

2. giganet

giganet New Member

Hi Border Amigos

I setup E-Mail forward on my newly configged box running ISPConfig3 and all works fine.

As far as the E-Mail being deleted, do you mean that it was deleted from the original mailbox which the mail was forwarded from?

Because if so the mail will not exist in the forwarding box / account it will exist only within the receiving box /account then the settings you choose in your E-Mail client will decide if a copy of that mail will be left on the receiving box /account.

Have a great day

Best Regards

3. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

Yes it's being deleted from the original mailbox it was forwarded from. I know many clients like Outlook and Evolution have a selection to leave or delete the mail on the server. But I'm using SquirrelMail webmail on a different server and there is no such option given. Maybe an issue with the server hosting the SquirrelMail and not the ISPConfig server... hmmmm...

EDIT: A little further researching and I find that SquirrelMail does not store anything locally therefore does not have the delete from server option. If you delete it in SquirrelMail, you are deleting it from the server. Fine and dandy for the mailbox the message was forwarded to. But this does not account for why it is being deleted from the mailbox it was forwarded from. Will look further...

ANOTHER EDIT: From what I've been able to find so far, deleting the message is the normal Postfix behavior. If it is wanted to save a copy in the mailbox the forwarder has to send 2 copies, one to the forward and one to the original address. Then Postfix will know to keep one. As the forwarding addresses are handled thru the ISPConfig MySQL database, this would require a modification of the ISPConfig 3 code to do. Unless I'm way off course.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Emails that are forwarded are never delivered to a mailbox, so there gets nothing deleted. If you want to keep a copy of a email and forawrd another one, just create 2 forwarders, one that forwards to the external address and one that forwards to the mailbox. So there has nothing to be changed in ispconfig.