Email is not working

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by tmpinsnty, Jan 26, 2019.

1. tmpinsnty

tmpinsnty Member

So I was having issues earlier with the email (SMTP server went offline and wouldn't restart) and since there wasn't much on the server I just started over.
    I have a brand spanking new Debian 9 Perfect Server. I use Vultr so I am self-hosting.
    Everything else seems to be working but I can't seem to get any emails to be sent or received. I am assuming I've bungled the configuration somewhere.
    my mail.log:
    Code:
    Jan 26 01:18:21 vps406 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=28492, secured, session=<tyElOFKAfrEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Jan 26 01:18:21 vps406 dovecot: imap([email protected]): Logged out in=90 out=902
    Jan 26 01:19:21 vps406 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=28515, secured, session=<ZPS4O1KAgLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Jan 26 01:19:21 vps406 dovecot: imap([email protected]): Logged out in=90 out=902
    Jan 26 01:20:02 vps406 dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<BlsrPlKAHswAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Jan 26 01:20:02 vps406 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<PW4rPlKAirEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Jan 26 01:20:02 vps406 postfix/smtpd[28591]: connect from localhost[::1]
    Jan 26 01:20:02 vps406 postfix/smtpd[28591]: lost connection after CONNECT from localhost[::1]
    Jan 26 01:20:02 vps406 postfix/smtpd[28591]: disconnect from localhost[::1] commands=0/0

All the email is sitting in the Mail queue.
    Can you give any hints? I've been searching all day trying to figure this out and have tried a few things.
    Let me know any config files you need see

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The log excerpt you posted does not contain a mail sending attempt. Please send an email and then post the lines that got added to mail.log file for this sending attempt.

3. till

4. tmpinsnty

tmpinsnty Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

5. till

You seem to have a network problem:

Jan 26 17:22:10 vps406 postfix/smtp[8252]: connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.129.27]:25: Connection timed out
    Jan 26 17:22:10 vps406 postfix/smtp[8252]: connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:4001:c0f::1a]:25: Network is unreachable

where do you host that server? is it in a datacenter or do you host it at home? maybe you provider has blocked port 25 outgoing, this is common for home or office internet connections and also Amazon AWS and Google cloud block port 25 as well as far as I know. When port 25 is blocked, then you can't run your own mail server.

6. tmpinsnty

tmpinsnty Member

I lease VPS space on Vultr.com so I guess datacenter but i've never had them block port 25 before. I've tried to send to other places than gmail though. But I wouldn't be surprised if 25 is blocked everywhere either.

7. tmpinsnty

tmpinsnty Member

should i try to force smtp to 587? or whichever that post is

8. till

Port 25 is not blocked by any email server, so gmail does not block it and no, it is the standard port that email servers use to communicate with each other. Port 587 is used by mail clients only.

You should send the two lines I quoted above in #5 to vultr support and ask them if they block port 25 outgoing from your server.

Vultr says that they might be blocking port 25 here:

https://www.vultr.com/docs/what-ports-are-blocked

9. tmpinsnty

tmpinsnty Member

yeah, thanks till. I asked them to open the port for us and they did. This is basically a portfolio for my partner as she applies to new jobs. I was worried I had misconfigured the server somehow