Email Issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee.Copper, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Having some issues with email.

We have two domains that are registered on ISPConfig and both require a email address of support.
    We can configure one successfully but when we add the second one the first one fails.
    We had some issues a while ago that falko sorted out with the removal of the support alias in the aliases database file.

So is it possiple to have the following configured?

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Thanks for your assistance.

2. TheRudy

TheRudy Member

Open site 1 and go to users & email tab for 1st domain and add new user/email for 1st domain. Save it.

Open site 2 and go to users & email tab for 2nd domain and do the same as above.

That doesn't work?

Also remember, check Trash Bin before doing this cause you might have some items there from previous attempts..

3. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Thats is what we have done and it does not work.
    Not sure if this is important or not but the owner for both domains is the same, so we configured a client and added the two sites to his account. I am pretty sure that should make no difference.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, that's no problem.

What are the real email addresses, and what's in /etc/postfix/virtusertable?
    What's in the mail log if you send a mail to each of them?

5. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Thanks for answering falko.

No sure that I understand the question, but I will try and give some more detail.

Configure 2 sites for this example we will call them companyA.com and companyB.com.

We first configured companyA.com as normal and added the [email protected] as a email user.

We then configured companyB.com and added a [email protected] as a email user.

We then tried to email [email protected] with the user details for [email protected]. The email then bounced back with an error.

We have deleted [email protected] account for obvious reasons so the virtusertable is not 100% inline with the problem.

what it does have is the entry for the original support user
    the entries are
    [email protected] support
    [email protected] support

I hope this helps

6. falko

Can you post this error here?

So the username of [email protected] is support. What was the username of [email protected]?
    Did you switch off username prefixes in ISPConfig?

7. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Sorry for the delay in answering the question.

Yes I have switched off the username prefix and the the second user has a different login name, I think I was imaginative and used support1.

When sending an email from hotmail I get the following message sent back

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

If I send it via a outgoing Exchange server I get a 550 error.

Hope this helps

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you get any error in the mail log file on your server?

9. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

I think I have possible solved this but I am not sure how.

If the problem raises its ugly head again, then I will post here again.

Thanks for the assistance

10. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Its happened again.

Had to setup a new user in one company and the same user with a different account under another company and the email is failing again. There is a difference though this time all the email is delivered to the first account we created.

Any ideas.

Also, I have tried to contact by email the company that offer paid support, but I never hear anything back, do they exist?

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please have a look here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/9_33_en.html

Sure we exist, but we have not received a mail from you.

12. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Interestingly I dont seem to have a $mydomain defined in my /etc/postfix directory.
    Is this right?

13. falko

Either put in myhostname or mydomain in main.cf, but please use a "technical" domain, i.e., a domain you don't use for web sites, email, etc.

14. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

Added the change to the main.cf file, wasnt sure if I need to postmap it, but I did for good measure.
    Reloaded postfix and tested it, but it still delivers to wrong place.
    Any further ideas?

15. falko

What's in your main.cf now (please strip the comments)? What's in your mail log when this happens?