Email issues

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Digiorb, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Digiorb

Digiorb New Member

Hi,

Recently installed the FC5 easy setup thing. Everthing works fine, but email is acting strange. I am not a new user to Linux, but I'm not an expert either. :) Here's my problem....

I have a site set up and working...assigned a user/email account, set up the email account in Outlook. Did the "test account settings" thing in Outlook and a test message was successfully sent and received. So, I assumed all was well. The problem is that when I send email to an outside address (say [email protected]) it never gets there, but it doesn't bounce either. AND, if I send an email from [email protected] to a [email protected] I never get it...and again, it never bounces.

What did I miss???

Thanks!

2. djtremors

djtremors ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Digiorb,

The best place to start diagnosing problems with non ispconfig related issues is check your /var/log/ files and in this case it's /var/log/maillog.

Start this command and monitor it's output while sending an email.

tail -f /var/log/maillog

capture all that info and post it here if possible.
    Also, another command to work with is :

mailq

this will tell you any mail sitting on the server waiting to deliver or is being delivered still (ie large emails).

this is a starting point for you. Also, let us know which mail server you are using, ie Postfix or Sendmail, etc..

PS: Logs are your friend.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure your ISP doesn't block port 25 (if your server is in your local network at home or in your office). If you have a dynamic IP address and/or no proper SPF/PTR records, then it's possible that Yahoo blocks your emails or puts them in the spam folder. If in doubt, you should contact the Yahoo support.

4. djtremors

djtremors ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

And to test Falkos theory then do the following on the ispc machine :

telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 25

PHP:
    220 mta336.mail.mud.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready
    helo {yourdomain}.com

PHP:
    250 mta336.mail.mud.yahoo.com
    mail from:<test@{yourdomain}.com> "djtremors"

PHP:
    250 sender <test@djtremors.comok
    rcpt to:"test" <[email protected]>

PHP:
    250 recipient <dj@yahoo.comok

See how you go. I couldn't send a "data" message to it to allow sending the body for some reason, maybe i should reread the RFCs...