Email keeps going to spam on gmail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by senormedia, Nov 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. senormedia

senormedia Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have tested everything on my email, i have a perfect score on https://www.mail-tester.com/, and are not blacklisted on https://mxtoolbox.com/
    all my dns are correct but my emails keep going to spam, i installed vesta cp to test and those dont go to spam even tho ts the same dns and everything is configured the same

can you let me know what i can do for my emails not to go to spam

Thank You

2. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

You probably have not done the google postmaster tools (In a way it is completely stupid to do all that work just to make google get your legitimate mails. But that is their power, they can make you work for them, because everyone needs google)
    => gmail.com/postmaster
    Basically, they give you a token which you have to put to your DNS server and then your mailserver reputation gets better
    More here: https://glockapps.com/blog/how-to-fix-gmail-spam-folder-placement/

If you have a basic problem with your mailserver, you should see it here: https://mecsa.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

3. senormedia

is there another solution
    i created a droplet using vesta cp to test and i did not have to add none of this, it automatically went to inbox
    also adding a dns record for every domain seems a little to much when you have more than 100 domains or if you have clients adding hosting who are not familiar with this

also this is not required on vestacp or cpanel, so i dont understand what im missing on ispconfig to make this work

4. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Vestacp does automate most things...so you would need to check,
    Ssl cert
    Spf, _DMARC, & DKIM records
    Ensure your mx record is correctly matching mail server... host.fqdn

Other than IP blacklisting I can't see any other reasons for this. I think from memory vestacp uses Exim whereas ispconfig uses Postfix. Perhaps that is where the differences lie and might be why something is not quite right.

To compare apples and apples, change the ISPconfig install to Exim for SMTP (copying exact settings from vestacp and see if it's any better)

5. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

It "should" be enough to do this with your MX domain.

6. senormedia

i reinstalled ispconfig in buster instead of stretch, and added this spf
    v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:208.56.57.58 ~all -- this is a random api
    added a A record for the subdomain
    mail.sub.domain.com Directs to 208.56.57.58
    Extra MX record
    sub.domain.com Handle by 208.56.57.58

did not do anything with gmail.com/postmaster as it should work without this like vestacp, this is good for after its not going to spam

it seems to be working now not sure if the records made a difference or buster

7. senormedia

Nevermind i added a new site to test another email and that one went to spam

any suggestions

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are all these requirements fullfilled:

1. host must have Internet connection with port 25 open both ways
    2. host has a fixed IP-address
    3. host must have A record for its IP-address (or AAAA if using IPv6)
    4. you must create MX record to DNS name service for the host
    5. you must get host reverse DNS name service PTR record that matches hosts FQDN

9. senormedia

i have all the other ones but dont know what this one is,
    host reverse DNS name service PTR record that matches hosts FQDN
    for this, can you write example or a link, even tho its working now i still want to make sure this is right

i reinstalled ispconfig , using a .com instead of .top and that work instally without all the google crap, so its working now must have been not liking top domain instead of .com

Thank You

10. Taleman

Example:
    Code:
    $ host taleman.ovh
    taleman.ovh has address 188.165.143.5
    taleman.ovh mail is handled by 10 posti.taleman.ovh.
    taleman@yosemitesam:~
    $ host posti.taleman.ovh
    posti.taleman.ovh has address 178.33.154.66
    $ host 178.33.154.66
    66.154.33.178.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer posti.taleman.ovh.

11. senormedia

Does it matter if the mx record is
    mydomain.com mail is handled by 10 mydomain.com.

should it be
    panel.mydomain.com is mydomain.com.

im on digital oncean if that is where i changed or do i changed it on both since they are matching same dns as the digitalocean

Also is the reason why my email takes like more than 7 hours to be received?
    hostingcabana.com
    this is my the domain i am using

hostingcabana.com has address 206.189.163.192
    hostingcabana.com mail is handled by 10 hostingcabana.com.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  12. Taleman

My understanding is that should not work. The MX record is created for a domain, that is correct in your example. But it must point to a hostname.domain.tld FQDN, so it should be
    Code:
    mydomain.com mail is handled by 10 serverhostname.mydomain.com.
    Maybe. To find out, get one of the received e-mails that took 7 hours. Then copy the full e-mail headers to some e-mail header analyzer, for example https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx