Email migration from one server to another

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Gaston Girardi, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Gaston Girardi

Gaston Girardi Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi, i need to migrate all the email, their users and passwords, to a new server. This new server is on debian 10 and it has a different domain from the original (the original is on Debian 9), and already has 5 domains working on the new one.

So to do this i was thinking ok create al the domains from the old server all the emails account and move all the files to the new one, copy the users and password from the old server database to the new one and rsync the email, but i'm not sure if this is goung to work as intent and if there is a better ans easy way.

So what do you suggest?.

Best regards.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The old server is ISPConfig? If so, purchasing the migration tool would likely be the easiest way.

If not, or to manually migrate, you can setup the domain(s) you are migrating in your new server (be sure to uncheck the Active checkbox), and add all your email mailboxes/alias/etc. That can be done manually or via the api (there's a working example to import mail accounts from csv if useful). rsync is my preferred method of transferring the files, assuming they're in a compatible format (eg. Maildir on each side).

3. Gaston Girardi

Hi Jesse, yes the other server is also ISPConfig, but both servers has different domain. Also the new server already has 5 diferents websites working with emails and everithing.

So, as i far i know, the migration tool works with new clean server where there's nothing in there, or am i wrong?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's wrong, you can import one server or even parts of a server into another server that contains already websites or mail domains etc.

5. Gaston Girardi

Ok, so when the tool does that migration it won't generate a conflict with the IDs and users, and everything?.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In general, no. It would not generate conflicting ID's, but I don't know what would happen if you had eg. the same client login name in use on the two servers.

7. Gaston Girardi

Ok thanks a lot for your answers we will check it.