Email Problem - Domains dont get mail

Discussion in 'General' started by geek, Nov 12, 2006.

1. geek

geek New Member

Hey guys,

I got a strange Problem with ISPConfig.

I'm using it for a year now and I am pretty happy except for one thing:

I Have a root domain which is equal with my hosting providing company's name and this domain has several email addresses which all work perfectly.

I have created this root domain as a customer in ISPConfig and the office address has the catchall tag.

Now if I create a customer/web with an own domain this domain is not able to receive emails. The users from that domain is registered correctly and the Server accepts the login. It even can send mails from to the world but if someone sends a mail to that customers domain, its instantly in the inbox of my office@rootdomain's catchall address.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Chris

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. geek

geek New Member

Thanks for your Reply! This seems to be my exact problem.

But I have some questions about the solution.

Would it be enough if I changed the domain in the postfix config file from mydomain.net to mail.mydomain.net?

and another thing.. am I missing something if my main.cf has no $mydomain? Mine has only "myhostname" but without that $ sign. Does that matter?

And if that doesn't work at all, what can I do about it? The system runs on the domain of my Company and I use that domain as a virtual host. I can't see any other solution except running my companys website on a separate Server... do you?

Regards, Chris

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Should work, but it would be better to get a completely different domain for this. That's how I do it on my servers.

myhostname is ok. You can also have mydomain there, but no $mydomain:
    Code:
    myhostname = server1.example.com
    mydomain = example.com
    If you have defined mydomain, you can also use this for myhostname:
    Code:
    myhostname = server1.$mydomain
    (now with a $).
    Get a completely different domain that you use as a "technical" domain for your server(s).