Email Server/Outlook

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by pcburner, Feb 13, 2008.

1. pcburner

pcburner New Member

I want to setup an email server to get my emails from my several online email accounts and then when I launch outlook, outlook will connect to my Linux server and get the emails after spamassisin has scanned them. Then I would like to create a Spam folder and have those sent via a separate email address.

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

Use fetchmail to get your mails to the server then spamassassin to add the score tags then from outlook create a rule to get messages with a spam tag and put them in the spam folder.

3. pcburner

pcburner New Member

Thanks for your reply

That answers some questions for me but what are the steps to do all that. What do I have to do to get Outlook to be able to find, log in, and get my emails from my email server. As far as spamassissin goes, I think what I would do is this, set up some junk folder call it, /home/spam/Maildir. Create a user called "spam" then using that criteria launch outlook to retrieve it, right? Now here's the thing, I've got postfix configured to relay my email through an external host. But I want to have an internal host for Outlook to connect through and send emails so is what I did, right? Here's the how-to that I followed http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver. Now I also setup or at least have it half way set up with DNS. I created a zone, gave it a name, then I put the different ip's in it as well. Now I also created a virtual ethlo called it eth0:0 gave it an ip and set that ip as the mail server, is that right? But now when I configure outlook do I use mail.lan.com (pop), mail.lan.com(smtp)? Then also what would the login information be, the users credentials for logging into the linux box, i.e. username = user password = pwd"? Instead of using the norm of an email address as a username and the same passwd or would I use the email address to login and a passwd? Sorry this is so long I have a lot of questions. I snicerely appreciate all of your help!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff