Emails in ISPConfig

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Manlove, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Manlove

Manlove Member

I've setup a client and given that client an email account from the control panel. How do I actually see the emails. I assume this has to be through webmail? So how do I access that. I have installed roundcubemail and I'm faced with a login screen, but no indication of what to login with. I saw an answer to another thread post elsewhere that says use the IMAP username and password. I'm not sure what he meant by that. Is that the email address and password of the client that I created, or something from elsewhere in the setup?

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

it´s the email address and password of the client

3. Manlove

Manlove Member

I was afraid you were going to say that. Obviously that is something I tried but I get "Login Failed" so there must be an installation fault somewhere. Getting a bit more technical then, from where does the roundcube client read that data. Does ISPConfig write to the roundcube db when a client is created? The roundcube db user table is empty.

4. florian030

Roundcube connects to your imap-server. Is quite similar to a connect using thunderbird or any othe email-client. You can check the mail.log.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

roundcube connects to the server with the imap protocol, so its a normal imap login as if you wuld use outlook or thunderbird as mail client.

No. Roundcube creates records there automatically and the roundcube database is not used to authenticate logins.

6. Manlove

Manlove Member

Sounds like a good place to start. Under the monitor tab, the mail log shows the following "dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 6 secs): user=[email protected]>" etc... So do I need to look at something in the dovecot setup that may be incorrect?

7. till

Its is either a problem in dovecot config or dovecot is not able to logn to mysql with the username and password in its config files or the password is wrong. Did you try to set the password again in ispconfig?

8. Manlove

Manlove Member

Yes I did. I checked the connection string in the dovecot-sql.conf file which shows the password query as login= '%u' OR email ='%u' and user query as SELECT email as user as expected. So possible a roundcube installation issue?

9. till

Did you try to use a desktop mail client for this account already?

10. Manlove

Manlove Member

I hadn't. I've just tried to setup in Outlook but get an 451 4.3.0 error on SMTP

11. till

Did you enable SMTP authentication in outlook? What is the corresponding error from mail.log?

12. florian030

Make sure, that the server that runs roundcube can connect / knows the hostname for the imap-server.

13. Manlove

Manlove Member

postfix/smtp: relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=63270, delays=63269/0.01/0.01/1.4, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.3.0 id=26006-07 - Temporary MTA failure on relaying, from MTA(smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025): 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error (in reply to end of DATA command))

smtp authentication enabled

14. Manlove

Manlove Member

I'm wondering if this might be a secondary issue. I can only see a connection to localhost.

15. till

Please check with:

df -h

that the hard disk is not full.

16. Manlove

Manlove Member

17. till

Ok, so the space should not be the problem. According to the error messages, postfix can't write to its mail queue. Please run:

postfix check

and if it reports permission problems, try:

postfix set-permissions

Thats ok.

18. Manlove

Manlove Member

How would I check this?

19. Manlove

Manlove Member

I kept trying, more out of stubbornness than practicality, and it suddenly accepted the login. No idea why, as I hadn't changed anything. The only thing I had done was click on all the links on the monitor page and sent another test mail.

+ Although I can log into roundcubemail, I can't actually send and receive mails. The inbox is empty, it appears to send although nothing actually gets sent, This is the only error I can find in the log
    (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.3.0 id=07922-11 - Temporary MTA failure on relaying, from MTA(smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025): 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error (in reply to end of DATA command))

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  20. Manlove

Manlove Member

It didn't return anything.