Emails With Periods Not Working

Discussion in 'General' started by samuch, Jun 11, 2008.

1. samuch

samuch New Member

We've setup several email accounts on a domain with periods "." in them and they are not working properly. They are set to forward only however they do nothing. An example email is [email protected]

Email addresses without the period work just fine and forward as expected.

Any thoughts on where to look or if this is a known issue?

Thanks!

2. lrider

lrider Member

Hello,
    I have detected the same problem and also detected the following:

The /etc/passwd file is ¿corrupted?. It has lots of lines with the line splited at the end of the name of the user. Also it repeats the second half of the line lots of times.

Example in the same order it appears on the file:
    :/var/www/web2/user/firstname.lastname:/bin/false
    a total of 25 times ....
    Normal /etc/passwd lines
    firstname.lastname:x:13038:10002:firstname middlename lastname
    In the /etc/mail/virtusertable everything seems to be ok.

Also when a email is received, if the acount is redirected, the following shows up in the /var/log/maillog file:

"SYSERR(root): forward: no home"

Thank's in advance....Larry.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no known issue, my personal email addrss contains a dot too. Please post a excerpt of your mail log file with the lines that apper when you send a email to such a account.

4. lrider

lrider Member

Jun 11 18:37:35 ns4 sendmail[4425]: NOQUEUE: connect from rv-out-0708.google.com [209.85.198.240]
    Jun 11 18:37:36 ns4 sendmail[4425]: m5BGbZVt004425: from=<[email protected]>, size=1840, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<[email protected]>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=rv-out-0708.google.com [209.85.198.240]
    Jun 11 18:37:36 ns4 sendmail[4451]: m5BGbZVt004425: SYSERR(root): forward: no home
    Jun 11 18:37:36 ns4 sendmail[4451]: m5BGbZVt004425: to=<[email protected]>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=32057, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
    Jun 11 18:37:36 ns4 sendmail[4451]: m5BGbZVt004425: done; delay=00:00:01, ntries=1
    J

5. samuch

samuch New Member

After testing I've found that the problem only happens with email clients. If I use sendmail on the same server or even outside one, it goes through fine:

echo "test" | mail -s testsubject [email protected]

However, I watch the email leave the mail server using a client and it showed as delivered fine. They don't bounce back. The only difference I can think is the server said it converted to MIME first.

lrider, can you test with the sendmail line above and see if it works for you?

Till, can you think of where I can look on the mail server to see where the emails are coming in? The /var/log/mail.err, mail.info, mail.warn are all empty

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Does the MX record for the domain point to the correct server? You can check that with
    Code:
    dig mx yourdomain.com

7. samuch

samuch New Member

I don't think it could be MX related as any email addresses that don't have periods work just fine.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Does your /etc/passwd look correct?
    What's in /etc/postfix/virtusertable?

9. lrider

lrider Member

Hello,

As I posted before, in my case the /etc/passwd is corrupted and the /etc/virtusertable is OK.

Even thought the /etc/passwd is corrupted, the server is working ok, and only its fauling the "forwarding" that does not work.

It just happens that I have 300 accounts forwarded and they don't work.

Thank's in advance.... Larry.

10. lrider

lrider Member

More data

I have changed a user and checked the log /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log file and the following shows up:

19.06.2008 - 20:49:04 => INFO - USER:
    jmabando:x:12993:10002:Jose Maria Abando Plaza:/var/www/web2/user/jmabando:/bin/false
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:04 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 891: setquota -u jmabando 0 0 0 0 -a &> /dev/null
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:04 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 892: setquota -T -u jmabando 604800 604800 -a &> /dev/null
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:04 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_procmail.lib.php, Line 57: cp -f /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/forward.master /var/www/web2/user/jmabando/.forward
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:06 => INFO - USER:
    beatrizabascal:x:12994:10002:Beatriz Maria Abascal Alonso-Lamberti
    :/var/www/web2/user/beatrizabascal:/bin/false

19.06.2008 - 20:49:06 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 891: setquota -u beatrizabascal 0 0 0 0 -a &> /dev/null
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:06 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 892: setquota -T -u beatrizabascal 604800 604800 -a &> /dev/null
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:06 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_procmail.lib.php, Line 57: cp -f /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/forward.master /var/www/web2/user/beatrizabascal/.forward
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:08 => INFO - USER:
    diegoacebal:x:12995:10002:Diego Acebal de Salas
    :/var/www/web2/user/diegoacebal:/bin/false
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:08 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 891: setquota -u diegoacebal 0 0 0 0 -a &> /dev/null
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:08 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, Line 892: setquota -T -u diegoacebal 604800 604800 -a &> /dev/null
    19.06.2008 - 20:49:08 => INFO - /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/classes/ispconfig_procmail.lib.php, Line 57: cp -f /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/forward.master /var/www/web2/user/diegoacebal/.forward

Here we can see where the /etc/passwd file starts to get messed up.

Hope this gives you a clue of what is happening.

I also have another thread with the /etc/passwd corrupted file thing and will post also this data since the it may be a problem in common.

Thank's in advance.....Larry.

11. lrider

lrider Member

Hi again,

I figure out what happened here.

I am using the ISPConfig Remoting Framework 1.0 library to create the accounts from a web.

It just happens that an administrator used a file for a massive user creation and this file contained "line feeds" at the end of the name.

Causing this odd-look /etc/passwd and also affecting the proper functioning of the ispconfig update process.

I also find out that no check is done for a new user to have an email already asigned as an alias to another user.

The ISPConfig Remoting Framework library creates the user, all the process work's fine, but the sendmail fails because there are repeated entries in the /etc/mail/virtusertable file.

Also this lead to an incomplete updated configuration, so mail worked fine for old accounts but "rare" for some of the new ones.

Leaving the "email" server working in a rather "extrange" mode since the virtusertable.db file is old in respect to the rest of the configuration.

I cleaned the names of "unwanted" characters and erased the repeated aliases and everything went back to normal.

Thank's again and hope this information is good for you improve the ispconfig software.

Larry.

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Good to know that you used the remoting framework. The ISPConfig interface is checking for line feeds and duplicate aliases, but the remoting framework just contains low level functions to access ispconfig, so the checks have to be done by the script that uses the remoting framework.

I will see if we can implement at least the line feed problem in the server part as well.

13. lrider

lrider Member

Thank's to you.

Keep up the good work.