Empty messages

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jysse, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jysse

jysse New Member

I have been receiving emails that are empty. No subject or sender and date for these messages is 1.1.1970.
    As I was testing I noticed that mail works fine for example from my hotmail account. And from another usual mail account.
    But when I send email from my work it comes thru but it is empty.
    What system logs should I check because of this ?
    Any other suggestions ?

Jysse

2. radioguy

radioguy New Member

Watch the maillog

you'll need shell application like putty if you don't already have it. Then, I would tail -f /var/log/maillog this will allow you to watch postfix in realtime. ctrl+c will stop the tail so you can note any problems. Hope that helps.

3. jysse

jysse New Member

mail.log entries

Testing again and this is the result:

Aug 15 09:37:24 jailhouse postfix/local[10544]: 1B20C3F1D3B: to=<admispconfig@localhost>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
    Aug 15 09:37:24 jailhouse postfix/local[10544]: 3FAD23F1D3B: to=<admispconfig@localhost>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
    Aug 15 09:37:27 jailhouse postfix/local[10523]: F08F83F1D39: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=4, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)

And during this answer came another mail and it was ok.
    Hey, I noticed that if I send email from my work in html-format it is empty and if it is text it comes thru ok !!
    Does this have something to do with this php error which I noticed too before ? http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236

apache2 error.log:

an unknown filter was not added: PHP

Jysse

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you enabled mailscan or antivirus for this mailaccount, if so try to disable it.

5. jysse

jysse New Member

Working ...

Yes, that was the problem. Disabling mailscan and antivirus helped.
    What shall I do to enable those again ?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I recommend you to enable antivirus again.

Mailscan cleans email messages from potentially dangerous HTML code, javascript and renames attachments with are potential dangerous (e.g. attachment.exe to attachemnt.defanged-exe). Maybe your email client at work formats the HTML messages in a way that the mailscan script finds them potentially dangerous.