Enter passphrase for SSL/TLS keys for subdomain.domain.tls:443

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by deividmen, May 27, 2024.

1. deividmen

deividmen Member

I have an Ubuntu 20.04.6 TLS server with ISPConfig Version: 3.2 and many websites installed. Everything was working well but the panel couldn't work with a Free Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate. In order to fix it, I created a site with my server FQDN and after I enabled it with SSL the server broke.

Now I get this:

Code:
    [WARN] Port 8080 (ISPConfig) seems NOT to be listening
    [WARN] Port 8081 (ISPConfig Apps) seems NOT to be listening
    [WARN] Port 80 (Webserver) seems NOT to be listening
    [WARN] Port 443 (Webserver SSL) seems NOT to be listening

And whenever I try to restart apache2 I get this message:

Code:
    Enter passphrase for SSL/TLS keys for subdomain.domain.tls:443 (RSA): (press TAB for no echo)
    Any ideas?

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yoy should not create a website under your server FQDN as that is not yet supported by ISPConfig especially if you are using acme.sh.

You should delete that website by going into the panel via IP address since you no longer able to do so via its FQDN.

After doing that, try running ISPConfig force update again and choose to create ssl for the panel during that process.

Good luck.

3. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If your old certificate had a password for the private key, this is not provided anymore.
    I made no observation that one can't create a website with the fqdn of the server, in fact it is a requirement to have
    this with a valid imprimt to be able to send mails to some providers.

However, not sure what you did there.
    Do not use wildcard ( ip * ) webhosting anywhere. That's one of the first option I disable in ispconfig =)

4. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Also to be more helpful here.
    Check your /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
    for any *.err file, maybe you can ( create backups ) move the .err file as .conf file and check what errors you got
    if the logs do not reveal much.
    fix the errors or manually unlink ( a2dissite ) the subdomain you added.

deividmen likes this.
  5. deividmen

deividmen Member

I removed that site from sites-enabled and it's working now, but I still can't make the panel work with a Free Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Run:

ispconfig_update.sh --force

and let the update create a new Let's encrypt cert. Just take care you remove any changes that you may have made like creating a website for system hostname or manually symlinking SSL certs first.

ahrasis and ztk.me like this.