Enterprise Linux Support

Discussion in 'General' started by wrender, Jul 5, 2007.

1. wrender

wrender New Member

Is there going to be any support for Enterprise Linux? Red Hat Enterprise Server 4 or 5? Or Novell stuff?
    We have a good ESX server, and are looking to setup ISP config on it. The problem is, it doesn't support the community distros.... just Enterprise versions.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig supports CentOS which is very similar to RHEL. So what you could do is replace the string in /etc/redhat-release with the one you find in the same file on a CentOS system (you could set up a test system with CentOS to find out the string).
    ISPConfig would then think that it's a CentOS system instead of RHEL. The installation should work then. :)

3. wrender

wrender New Member

ok

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit worried about running into issues in the future when we go to upgrade our system (which would be running RHES 4. Would you happen to know what this centos string is? I don't have a copy of centos handy.

Also, is there any reason why your installer is not compatible with RHES 4? I would have thought this would be a more popular distribution for web hosting companies.

Cheers

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can restore the eorigianl string in the file right after you installed ISPconfig.

As we do not get free versions of the enterpriise versions to test ISPConfig with, we are nota ble to support them. Also, most hosting companys do not use the enterprise linux distributions as they cost extra money and they do not bring any benefits. compyred to e.g. debian linux or centos.