erroneous command taking up log space.

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by scottrill2, Sep 18, 2013.

1. scottrill2

scottrill2 Member

Hello folks,

I am running a multiserver setup WITHOUT email as I use exchange server for that.

Anyway, I am trying to look at logs often as I am a Linux newbie and I find they are cluttered often with the same messages over and over like:

deprecated syntax in php line 3 blah blah

PHP Notice: Undefined index:

sh: mailq: command not found

Anyway, I am slowly researching the php stuff and fixing those, but I have googled every way I can think of on the "mailq" one and cant see how to stop this.

I am not using email so I definitely don't need a mailq lol How can I stop this log entry from happening?

Thank you as always for your time,

Scott

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A mailqueue is required fo every Linux server, it is used for internal system messages and also no cms, forum, shop or contact form on your server would work without it.

3. scottrill2

scottrill2 Member

Hello Till,

As always thanks for replying.

Ok so since I did the multi-server tutorial WITHOUT completing the "email server setup" does this mean I have to go to one of the webservers and install dovecot or something?

I do run joomla and do need the server to send out registration emails and stuff. I assumed it could do smtp stuff without an email client / server.

Thanks,

Scott

4. till

You should install at least a minimal mailserver, e.g. postfix. A imap server with dovecot is not nescessary.

Just run:

apt-get install postfix

choose internet server as server type when the installer asks you and accept the defaults for the other values.

5. scottrill2

scottrill2 Member

Hello Till,

Thanks for the reply. I will install postfix straight away.

A few questions:

1. I hadnt installed clamav or amavisd. Since I want all IN coming mail going through exchange server, do I now need to install those packages or can I set up Postfix to do OUT going mail only and leave the AV and spamblocking stuff uninstalled?

2. Since I dont plan to use email incoming I do not need to reconfigure ISPConfig with email server correct?

Thanks as always,

Scott

6. till

1) you dont have to install amavisd, spamasassin or clamav.
    2) No.