Error at 8. of the ISPConfig3.1 tutorial? I highly doubt it ;)

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by danhansen@denmark, Feb 22, 2019.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I'm having issues here. Yesterday I thought it was because of a laptop running low on juice, cutting my SSH connection... It wasn't. I have maid the installation twice now, same problem... I would love an answer to this, and even better, a way to go forward instead of doing it again, a third time ;)

Tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/2/

This is where I'm at:

8. Install Apache, PHP, phpMyAdmin, FCGI, SuExec, Pear, and mcrypt
    Apache 2.4, PHP 7.2, phpMyAdmin, FCGI, suExec, and Pear can be installed as follows:

Command: # apt-get -y install apache2 apache2-doc apache2-utils libapache2-mod-php php7.2 php7.2-common php7.2-gd php7.2-mysql php7.2-imap phpmyadmin php7.2-cli php7.2-cgi libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec-pristine php-pear mcrypt imagemagick libruby libapache2-mod-python php7.2-curl php7.2-intl php7.2-pspell php7.2-recode php7.2-sqlite3 php7.2-tidy php7.2-xmlrpc php7.2-xsl memcached php-memcache php-imagick php-gettext php7.2-zip php7.2-mbstring php-soap php7.2-soap

You will see the following question:

1. Web server to reconfigure automatically: <-- apache2
    2. Configure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common? <-- Yes
    3. The error occurs after this: MySQL application password for phpmyadmin: <-- Press enter

Just hitting enter result in an error. Look beneath. You will be presented with the alternative to retry, and doing that will make a new screen appear where you can choose between Unix socket or TCP/IP... My guess is that a password should have been entered at option 3. ??? It may just be me reading "Press Enter" wrongfully... Or?

[​IMG]

Hoping for some assistance here ;)

--------------------------
    From the tutorial:

You will see the following question:

Web server to reconfigure automatically: <-- apache2
    Configure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common? <-- Yes
    MySQL application password for phpmyadmin: <-- Press enter
    ---------------------------

There's another place where you are told to do the same. This seemed ok because you where told to enter a password afterwards... Anyway, I'm still not sure this is correct. Till, if you see this, please set me straight here ;)

----------------------------
    You will be asked these questions:

Enter current password for root (enter for none): <-- press enter <<---- is this right??
    Set root password? [Y/n] <-- y
    New password: <-- Enter the new MariaDB root password here
    Re-enter new password: <-- Repeat the password
    Remove anonymous users? [Y/n] <-- y
    Disallow root login remotely? [Y/n] <-- y
    Reload privilege tables now? [Y/n] <-- y
    ----------------------------

KR
    Dan

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did really start the installation from the very beginning, that is from an empty server where you first install Ubuntu according to the installation instructions and then start using the ISPConfig Perfect Server Guide?
    If your sessions disconnect during install, use screen on the ubuntu host, so you can get back to the disconnected session and continue it. http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/screen.1.html
    My guess is there is already a password for database, and you forgot what you entered there in the first install.

3. danhansen@denmark

Hi Taleman,

Thanks for helping me here...
    Its a clean installation both times, from scratch... wiped partitions and everything... Setting up LVM... using entire disk... Grub loader and all.. From scratch ;)
    Your guess, that there's already a password, well, I followed the tutorial to the letter.. I was about to start a 3 time, using the 16.04 to test the difference between them. If this might work on 16.04.

Please let me know if this is correct. That I just hit enter, not typing in anything. When the tutorial tells you to hit enter, then you just hit enter. I've been using Linux for quite some time, ISPconfig only 3.0 and Ubuntu 12.04, but I didn't have any troubles back then. Only regarding a mirrored server.

----------
    Turorial 8. (page 2)
    1. Web server to reconfigure automatically: <-- apache2
    2. Configure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common? <-- Yes
    3. JUST HIT ENTER HERE?: MySQL application password for phpmyadmin: <-- Press enter
    ----------

And from page 1 in the tutorial:
    BTW! There was one thing that was different during installation! This might be due to a change of the developers. There where one more choice than written in the tutorial/shown below. Before "Reload privilege tables now? [Y/n] <-- y " You are given a choice to "delete test databases ..." and something more. I'll try to say no here in a clean installation

----------
    Now we set a root password in MariaDB. Run:

mysql_secure_installation
    You will be asked these questions:

JUST HIT ENTER HERE?? Enter current password for root (enter for none): <-- press enter
    Set root password? [Y/n] <-- y
    New password: <-- Enter the new MariaDB root password here
    Re-enter new password: <-- Repeat the password
    Remove anonymous users? [Y/n] <-- y
    Disallow root login remotely? [Y/n] <-- y

A NEW CHOICE APPEARED HERE Delete test database and ....... <-- (y/n?)
    Reload privilege tables now? [Y/n] <-- y
    ----------

This is what I did, to the letter:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-lts-minimal-server
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...sl-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig
    ----------

Thanks again Taleman...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. Taleman

Do not answer no. These questions are about securing the database installation, answer the default for all of them.

5. danhansen@denmark

Hi again Mr. T ;)

OK, Just began a third installation trying just that... And just to be clear... When the tutorial say HIT ENTER you are suppose to HIT ENTER and nothing else, right? I would really love an yes or a no here ;)

If this works, saying Yes to the according to the tutorial unknown choice, we might be better of correcting the tutorial.. I don't think it's logical to just say no... Not from a newbie, which I consider myself to be, still...

Lets see what happens.

6. Taleman

I do not understand what could be wrong.
    Was the problem every time the same? First time you wrote session got disconnected. What was the problem in #3?

7. Taleman

HIT ENTER means just that. Press Enter once and nothing more.

8. danhansen@denmark

Hello again ;)

I do not understand what could be wrong.
    Was the problem every time the same? First time you wrote session got disconnected. What was the problem in #3?

The old thread was same problem, but I thought it was due to an drained battery on my laptop. I was using PuTTY to SSH into the server. I always do that. Install the minimal server and then SSH and do the rest from a better chair ;) Just kidding.. I have a server room with RACK's, and its a bit noisy down there ;)
    Anyway, I thought it was because of the SSH connection that I lost, but it wasn't... It was a coincidence, nothing but... And exactly the place where this error appeared or maybe we should call it, my mistake was done.

Well, as you might have noticed, english isn't my mother tongue ;) So maybe somethings getting lost in translation here ;) I'm sorry if my explanation is vague...

I'm doing the installation now, lets see... and thanks for setting me straight ;)

I'll take a screendump or textdump for the tutorial, should this installation go well ;)

KR
    Dan

9. danhansen@denmark

Add-On's....

During installation of the LTS minimal Ubuntu Server 18.04.x theres a new sets of choices... nothing that interferes with the ISPConfig 3 installation, but for newbies, this to correct this, may be a help... I'm making ScreenDumps and files for editing the tutorial(s) and making them accessible for you to use, should you want to correct the tutorials..

In my case I'm chosing danish keyboard layout, so to make it like the other, you will have to make a new file showing "German" to make it perfect ;) If it's the same tutorial being used, with only the subject altered, well, more work ;) And I followed the tutorial to the letter. You will find these new things if you do an installation as well.. (Maybe not if you are from UK or US, but choosing e.g. Germany as timezone, keyboard layout etc, then I'm pretty sure it'll happen)

This tutorial:
    How to Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Minimal Server
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-lts-minimal-server

It's after:
    "..Finishing the installation and...."
    Before:
    4. First Login

Add-On's
    [...]
    3. Configuring keyboard-configuration
    Country of origin for the keyboard:
    [​IMG]

Keyboard layout:
    [​IMG]

4. First Login
    [...]

Like this ;)

10. Taleman

The Ubuntu installation tutorial you link to does have screenshots about keyboard layout configuration.
    I am now confused about what is wrong. Is the problem the tutorial, which omits something? Or is there still failure in the installed system or the installation does not finish?

11. danhansen@denmark

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no Error in step 8 of the tutorial.