/etc/passwd "emptied"

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Norman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

Our server was recently upgraded from lenny to squeeze.
    After an upgrade of ISPconfig to latest version, a few days passed without a hitch.
    A user set a new password in the controlpanel and that emptied the /etc/passwd and only added that one user.

Any idea what may have caused this?

I have backup of /etc/passwd so I will go onsite to restore the passwd file ASAP.

Is there anyway to have ISPconfig be able to "restore" the file properly?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

After you restored the file, plesae check it with the commands:

pwck

and

grpck

Most likely the file was inconsistent which caused the problem as ispconfig edited it. ISPConfig can not restore the file as the passwords are kept only in the shadow file and not the mysl database, but ispconfig makes a backup of it with ~ attached to the filename.

3. Norman

There was a number of old ispconfig added users

webX_usernames:x::::/dev/null

it seems like there are some erranous old usernames in the ispconfig database.

I've got users backed up luckily so I can restore and then manually prune these users.

Is it possible somehow to do a sanity-check on such users in ispconfigdb?
    I noticed that these users dont exist under the associated site (not visibly).

Also checked the trashbin, nothing in there for those sites.

4. Norman

Tried recreating the problem.
    Added user, changed password. removed user.

passwd creates as normal now.

The only thing I could think "might" have caused the issue was if the backups were running at the same time and /etc/passwd or any other of the files updated were locked.

Does ispconfig2 have any checks to make sure these files arent locked to avoid a deadlock situation?