/etc/postfix/aliases still not working. Please help!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ignasigarcia, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ignasigarcia

ignasigarcia New Member

Hi there! Hope someone can help me out with this becasuse I'm getting really desperate...

I have ISPC3 3.0.1.2 running on ubuntu 8.10. Everything's working great but local aliases, which are not processed at all. Postfix knows about the aliases file, with entries in main.cf:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

These are the contents of /etc/postfix/aliases

postmaster: [email protected]

If I send a message to [email protected] I get this in the log:

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from externaldomain.ltd[1.2.3.4]: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<mailserver.externaldomain.ltd>

If I do add a malformed entry in /etc/postfix/aliases and run newaliases without any options I do get warnings/errors, so postfix IS looking at the right file.

On an opensuse server without ISPC3 (but with virtual users as well in a LDAP database), an aliases file such as this one in ubuntu works well.

Can anybody help me, please?

TIA,

Ignacio

2. rdv25772

rdv25772 New Member

The aliases database is only used for the local server.

If your server is called server.mydomain.com an email send to [email protected] in your case will be forwarded to [email protected].

When you are sending an email to [email protected] Postfix will not check the aliases database. You need to add the postmaster user to the virtual mailbox table of anyvirtualdomaininispc3.ltd. In that case you will be able to send it as you pleased.

What you were trying was to send an email to an unknown user in virtual mailbox table of the anyvirtualdomaininispc3.ltd domain. So the message is correct. Keep in mind that the aliases database is only for local use and not for a virtual mailbox.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009