Etch -> Lenny with Ispconfig

Discussion in 'General' started by bernholdt, Feb 19, 2009.

1. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

Im running Etch as my favorite server os.
    Im concidering to upgrade to Lenny as described here at Howtoforge. But before i end up pulling out my hair because i screw something up on our server a few questions.

Is it advisable ?
    Does development and security upgrades stop for Etch ?
    Is there any known issues with Isp config ?
    Is the stable version that has come out as secure as Etch at this tage ?
    Are there any advantages in upgrading to Lenny ?
    Im running 64 bit Etch is Lenny upgradeble with 64 bit ?
    Finally what do the rest of you Etch users do ?

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I've got 5 production servers all running Etch with ISPconfig 2.

For now I will leave it all as it is until ISPconfig 3 is ready for production server use.
    Only then I will start reinstalling every server (one by one) with Lenny and ISPconfig 3.

I do have a test server with Lenny and ISPconfig 2 running. Only to see if some of my custom programs will run on it. For now they all do.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no need to upgrade now.

No.

No.

I think so.

If you dont need newer software versions like the latest mysql, then not.

yes.

Personally I will wait a few months with the update.

4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Yesterday i've upgraded two ISPConfig2 servers with Debian Etch to Debian Lenny. Everything went fine! :)

I used the Falko's howto's:

1)
    http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-a-debian-etch-system-server-and-desktop-to-debian-lenny

and:

2)
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig2

I also replaced syslogd with rsyslogd as rsyslogd is mentioned within the 2nd howto.

The only thing i don't understand is why the Linux 2.6.xxx-em64t-p4-smp kernels i use, where not upgraded to 2.6.26-1.xxx after rebooting the servers.
    I guess the em64t-p4 kernels they are not maintained anymore and that it is the AMD branch instead.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

In the mean time i upgraded my 2.6.x-EMT64-P4-SMP kernel to the 2.6.26-1-amd64 from Debian. The reason i still had a EM64T kernel was from the period that Debian AMD64 was unofficial. I was still using that kernel for my Intel XEON processors, because it is very stable and i had never problems with it. (Until the moment, i extended/replaced the memory modules). From now on i will use AMD64 which comes with Lenny. :)