Execute ISPC cron job on demand

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by razor7, Dec 6, 2023.

1. razor7

razor7 Member

Hi! I want to discuss this feature before posting it to the FR git.

I'm working with a test server that constantly needs php version changes for a site, as every php change needs to wait to ISPC cron job to run, I wonder if it will be a good idea to provide ISPC super admins only, with a button to force IPSC con tasks execution on demand to be able to apply critical changes right away and not wait for cron job to execute.

Well, that's my idea, whet do you guys think?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess this will break the security barrier between interface and server process by allowing the ispconfig user to run commands as root user, so this is likely to cause security issues and nothing that one would do on a system that is connected to the internet. Plus, it will not work on multiserver systems.

Our current design principle is to run the UI as an unprivileged user (the user ispconfig) and have an independent server process running as root while both processes communicate trough the MySQL database. Allowing the interface to run commands as root directly, which would likely be required to start the server process on demand, can be very dangerous. So, if we consider such a functionality, then security aspects have to take the most important role.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

4. razor7

razor7 Member

Forget it Till, it's just my use case and I think it's too mucho overhead, I will just create a subdomain for PHP 7, PHP 8, PHP 8.1 and PHP 8.2