Experience with OVH and Hetzner?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Taleman, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I just found out Hetzner has datacenter in Finland. I have now OVH rented server, with datacenter in France. Hetzner customer service answers questions, where OVH customer service has gotten really bad.
    I assume there are Hetzner dedicated server customers in this forum? How is your experience with the service? Reliable, techical support knows how to fix things, documentation is reasonably good etc?

ahrasis likes this.
  2. boman.de

boman.de New Member

I can't say anything bad about Hetzner. Im now about 15 years with them. Before I did a lot of hopping almost every year. I had the typical things to handle like switching failed hdd from a raid, broken network card etc. Everything is handled professionally. Also had an abusive customer, spamming mails. They gave me a reasonable time to handle the abuse and not shutting down my servers. But I have to say that I haven't needed a lot of support. About 5 years ago I moved all my servers to Hetzner. I'm only using servers in German locations.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I prefer virtual hosting over dedicated servers usually. I have several VPSs at Hetzner but decided to move critical stuff away after a outage starting friday night and their cloud support not being available outside businness hours. The problem was on their cloud node but they didn't find out until sunday morning.

After hearing others experiences I think I had a one in a thousand experience and they told me they would improve their ways to prevent this in the future. My other systems never had a problem like it.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hetzner customer rep sent me links to documentation and said installing Proxmox on dedicated host is supported. Looks like I have to look closer to their service.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hetzner is very good so far and I did mentioned in some of posts here but I just another vps user, not dedicated server.

To detail main features that I like are that it covers big traffic of 20TB per VPS, has nvme ssd making swap files more useful, scalable vps, indvidual ipv4 and ipv6 per vps, internal network possibility, load balancing, floating ip etc and mainly reasonably good low price.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'm using Hetzner dedicated servers for many years and started to use their cloud service recently. Good prices and reliable services.