External access to "Virtual... Ubuntu 8.04"

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by spaceuser, Jun 16, 2008.

1. spaceuser

spaceuser New Member

Hi!

I have now a workable mailserver, after following the "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL...Ubuntu 8.04". It's made as VMWare Server Guest install. I will deal with another remaining issue as fetchmail/getmail later.

I can now access the mailserver anywhere in local LAN, to read/write using Thunderbird email client or surf to IP/squirrelmail. I want to be able to access the mailserver in a secure way from anywhere on the internet, and I have made a portforward to port 81 (since I had a webserver using port 80 on a another virtual VMWare guest). It's hard to test from inside LAN, but I test every day when going to/from work since I commute by train, supplied with a wireless internet access.
    No luck so far. The only thing that I have change in the Apache setup is the port to 81. Then I have open up a portforward in my router/firewall (Freesco) to the mailserver. A netstat -tap result in:

netstat -tap
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 localhost:10024 *:* LISTEN 3994/amavisd (maste
    tcp 0 0 localhost:10025 *:* LISTEN 5200/master
    tcp 0 0 localhost:mysql *:* LISTEN 4068/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 *:81 *:* LISTEN 6658/apache2
    tcp 0 0 *:smtp *:* LISTEN 5200/master
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:imaps [::]:* LISTEN 4528/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:pop3s [::]:* LISTEN 4564/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:41004 [::]:* LISTEN 3959/sshd
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:pop3 [::]:* LISTEN 4544/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 [::]:imap2 [::]:* LISTEN 5428/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 mailserver:41004 udesktop.inet:42420 ESTABLISHED 7844/sshd: lars [pr

Is there anything I could test from outside local LAN to see what's wrong here?

I appreciate any comment on this.

TIA

2. spaceuser

spaceuser New Member

It works!!!
    I don't know why i suddenly does, but today I finally manage to access it from outside local LAN.

Only the trickiest thing left to manage to get working... fetchmail with virtual users.
    If anyone knows anything about it I would really appreciate a hint.