external email server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by adeptt, Jan 24, 2008.

1. adeptt

adeptt New Member

I have created an site in isp config.
    Now i want to point all mail to a different email server out side the network.

We know how to change the mx records manually on our old linux redhat server but is there a way to do this in the gui interface of isp config?

Or do we have to manually do them like on our old system.

Thank you

2. lyndros

lyndros New Member

just create a mx register in dns manager pointing your external mail server.

see u :)

3. citronz

citronz New Member

Two thinks You have to do.
    1) set DNS mx record for domain. Depends on which server is responsible for this domain. In ISPconfig You can do it @ DNS manager tab.
    2) ISP manager -> Site -> then on rigth frame click site's Option tab and choose Mailserver - External. Do it for all co-domains too if needed.

4. tonydm

tonydm New Member

I don't know if my question relates to adeptt's, but it seems along the same theme. I want to manage my web and email server independently. Rather than point to an external server outside network, can I just point to another server on my network? I like being able to set up virtual accounts and all and would like to keep that functionality managing email accounts on a separate server. Your thoughts!! Thanks....

Tony D.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Just select "External Mailserver" for all affected domains in ISPConfig. For the main domain of a web site, it's on the Options tab, and for the Co-Domains you have to go to the Co-Domains tab.

6. adeptt

adeptt New Member

so i set all the domains i want to use external server. But where do i setup the external servers ip address?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer