External MySQL?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by incgnito, Jun 8, 2007.

1. incgnito

incgnito New Member

Can anyone tell me how I could set up ISPConfig on one box to make use of a MySQL installation on another box? I have two windows boxes that are decent speed (one of which is running an ISPConfig setup via VMWare at the moment but I keep finding it shut off) and two other older Compaq Deskpro's taking up space in my closet. What I would like to do is install an ISPConfig setup on one of the Deskpro's but because of the speed limitation have it set up to use a MySQL installation from my windows machine (either via VMWare or native installation).

The only other thing I can think of to increase speed is maybe something like OpenMOSIX on the Deskpro's, but I've never tried it and I'm really not sure two 833MHz CPU's in tandem would make much difference in this case.

Any ideas (besides "go get a better box")?

2. mlz

mlz Member

I'm not sure, but I know that the ISPConfig can be configured to talk to another box, however I don't think (key word there) that ISPConfig can then create client DBs on the external box. Falko, Hans, or Till will know for sure!

I'm sure you could modify the system, however that creates new headaches at upgrade time.

To change the db host after install you would back up your db_ispconfig db, restore it to the new server then change db_host in the /home/admispconfig/lib/config.inc.php file to point at the new host. Make sure you set the firewall on the new host to allow external MySQL access.

Hope that helps a little bit.

3. jnsc

jnsc rotaredoM Moderator

I think he only talks about the MySQL server, so there should be no problem. At the end of the installation, when you are asked for the MySQL config just set the hostname of your (remote) MySQL server.

I nerver tested it, but it should work as it's only PHP.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that should work. :)