Extra storage - partition for a website on ispconfig

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Mo Hammann, May 9, 2024.

1. Mo Hammann

Mo Hammann New Member

Hello Experts,

We have a website hosted on ISPConfig running on Ubuntu 22.04, along with several other sites, and everything is running smoothly. Recently, we encountered a requirement to expand storage for one specific site to accommodate user-uploaded files. Given that our server has only around 100GB of storage capacity, but the expectation is for this site to accumulate terabytes of data, we're exploring the possibility of attaching a LUN or NFS share to fulfill this need.

Is it feasible to connect a LUN or NFS share to this particular site, allowing it to store and share large volumes of data without impacting the performance of other hosted sites? We're looking for a scalable solution that seamlessly integrates with our existing infrastructure while ensuring reliable access to stored files for site users.

Your insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mounting an NFS share as a web folder of the website or as a folder in the web folder should work fine. The only thing that you should avoid then is changing the website owner (assign the site to a different client), as this would alter the site's directory.

3. Mo Hammann

Mo Hammann New Member

actually we use ISPConfig for personal use just to facilitate managing the websites and databases, we do not have clients/users or resellers. and since I am the only one responsible for this task, I am trying to understand the best way to do it without the need to change the original folder that was created by ISPConfig and rather ask the developer to save the files on a specific folder (a mounted NFS folder), since i understood it is possible, may i ask about the permissions needed and if possible a little more tips on how to achieve that?

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. Mo Hammann

Mo Hammann New Member

Sorry for late reply, I checked the link mentioned, but this is not my case. In my scenario I have several sites hosted on ISPConfig and all of them are stored on the original location created by ISPConfig. for one site i want to add extra storage (I do not want to change the original folder structure as well) and I already have an NFS Folder mounted to /mnt/extra-site-storage. the question is: is there any permissions i should add to this folder in order to start read/write to it from this particular site?

thank you

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Unmount the folder from /mnt/extra-site-storage. Then mount it e.g. into the private folder of the site like /var/www/clients/client1/web/private/storage
    The user of the website must be able to write there.

7. Mo Hammann

Mo Hammann New Member

Thank you, i will try this method which also seems logic.