fail2ban block ip

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Tom John, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

HI guys,
    i am using ubuntu 20.04 and the perfect server with ispconfig.
    i the syslog i get the following entry:
    Code:
    Apr 18 20:05:20 mx1 postfix/smtpd[1364646]: connect from unknown[5.34.207.107]
    Apr 18 20:05:21 mx1 postfix/smtpd[1364772]: warning: unknown[5.34.207.107]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: Connection lost to authentication server

i would like fail2ban block the ip that use too many connections like the example above.
    so i set an entry in /etc/fail2ban/jail.local
    Code:
    [postfix-sasl]
    enabled = true
    port = smtp
    filter = postfix
    logpath = /var/log/mail.log
    maxretry = 3

[sendmail]

enabled  = true
    port     = smtp,ssmtp
    filter   = sendmail
    logpath  = /var/log/mail.log
    bantime  = 28800
    action   = iptables-multiport[name=sendmail-auth, port="submission,465,smtp", protocol=tcp]
    maxretry = 3

however the ip is not blocked.
    Did i miss something or how could i find a better solution?
    thanks a lot for your kind help

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

The postfix-sasl jail likely matches the sasl login failure, but not anything based on the number of connections. The sendmail jail I would expect to match lines logged by sendmail, which is not running. In a quick look (at a debian machine, not ubuntu) I don't see any filter that matches 'connect from ....' lines, so you may have to create one. Alternatively if you set postfix connection limits lower you would probably get a different log message when the limit is exceeded, which might have a matching filter already (I don't know the exact message logged offhand, but it's easy to setup a test to find out).