Fast Upload Speeds on a copper ADSL line?

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by Rapid2214, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Rapid2214

Rapid2214 New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know a way to boost an internet upload speed on a copper adsl line? I can get 7mb download but only a 0.35 mbps upload and really want a faster upload speed so i can make use of my resonable servers.
    Also i wouldn't mind changing ISP but i don't want to move to an exsisting datacenter :D
    How are there so meny datacenters what have superb internet speed, how do they do it? Fibre Optic i presume....
    I emailed BT asking about leased lines and they said they couldnt garrentee a good upload speed... Ideas, why can't they do that?? :confused:

Thanks

Marty :cool:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't know what upload speed you have booked, but in case you're not getting what you're paying, I'd call your ISP.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. Toucan

Toucan Member

I presume you're in the UK if you're looking at BT Rapid?

There's a couple of things to consider, how far you are from the exchange, the quality of the line etc.

Remember that regardless of which ISP you are with and what they potentially promise, the line from your house to the exchange is likely to run over a bt line if you're looking at copper service.

.. but, to give you an example, I'm about three miles from the exchange, my line is with BT but from the exchange onwards I hook up to an O2 service.

Up Speed: 2047 kbps
    Down Speed: 5849 kbps

Although I subscribe to the O2 service, I believe they actually lease or resell the service from bethere.co.uk.

The pros are if you have an O2 mobile, they give you a reduced service taking it down to about £14 a month with a static IP.

The cons are it took me a week to convince them they could give me a reverse DNS lookup and they can only give you one static IP.

I'm considering moving to their parent bethere.co.uk who can provide more IPs and promise they don't impose traffic shaping etc. bethere has a service for about £24 a month. The only thing holding me back is I'll have to change all my DNS IPs...

It's worth your while asking BT to run a diagnostic on the line for you.

Hope this helps.

If anyone else knows any good UK ISPs I'd be interested.

4. Rapid2214

Rapid2214 New Member

I live proberly 500 yards from the exchange, but only get 0.37 upload.. :(
    its adsl but im gonna give bt a bell and ask them about it...

5. sarumbear

sarumbear New Member

Wow!

I have never, ever heard an ADSL line to have such high upload rate? I don't want to be rude, but are you positive about that 2Mbps 'upload' rate? According to most ADSL definitions and BT, ADSL can support upto 800+Kbps.

Many thanks in adavance for your reply.

Riz

6. Toucan

Toucan Member

Sure I'm sure, the ratio feels about right.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
    Gateway:
    Primary DNS: 87.194.255.154
    Secondary DNS: 87.194.255.155
    MAC Address:
    Up Speed: 2067 kbps
    Down Speed: 6048 kbps
    Multiplexing: LLC-BASED
    VPI: 0
    VCI 101

This is corroborated by internet speed tests.

But even on my home line which is BT similar distance with Sky at the exchange I get similar results.

7. Toucan

Toucan Member

8. sarumbear

sarumbear New Member

Thank you for that. I didn't know that Annex M was offered in UK by anyone. It seems though that at present very few excahnges are capable of this and even fewer providers are offering this. Shame that this is not available for my location. It would have been nice to have two lines from BE and ask them to bond those lines.

Can you imagine 30Mbps download and 5Mbps uplad speeds? That is almost equal to an Ethernet connection for just £50/month!!!