Fast Webserver for wordpress

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Tom John, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,
    i want to setup a webserver which is fast for wordpress websites.
    I have some questions and maybe you would be so kind and help me with that?
    I run some VPS with 4 cpu cores, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB SSD.

1. Can i use ispconfig or does it slow down the webserver for wordpress? If so would you run a standard installation according to: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...l-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/
    and then add the necessary tools for make the server more fast?
    2. would you use apache or nginx
    3. what would you use for apache performance tuning: mod-pagespeed, apache mpm worker module, or apache mpm prefork module
    4. is php memcached and option? or what other options do you see for speed up wordpress?

thanks in advance for your help.

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

1. Yes you can use ISPConfig and it will not slowdown your webserver.
    2. I would use nginx.

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1: I would recommend you to use ISPConfig even, as we optimize the vhost templates ;)
    2: NGINX for a private project, Apache2 if it's for shared hosting and other people will acces the server.
    3: This is done automatically by the ISPConfig autoinstaller: https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/
    4: Use a pluging like WPRocket.

concept21 likes this.
  4. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

could you explain, why you would not use nginx for private projects only?

ahrasis likes this.
  5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Personally, I prefer Apache2 for shared hosting because you can use .htaccess files ;)

concept21 likes this.
  6. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

did you know, that nginx can use directives? :D

ahrasis likes this.
  7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Yes, but users can't add arbitrary directives, whereas they can edit their htacess files, so using apache can remove the server admin from some day-to-day tasks on a shared hosting server. Many users utilize htacess files and don't even know it, because they are created but their cms/plugins, so on an nginx server they simply find less functionality, and may it may not contact you about it (and surely some amount of those who don't will end up moving to another host where they find things work for them better).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    concept21 and Th0m like this.
  8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Yes, good enough for wordpress very heavy php software + very heavy clamscan, etc.

9. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Me Too.
    And also Apache2 + mpm-event + php-fpm + pagespeed module << very very fast + small memory!

Qtmetrix rate is 99% performance + 98% structure on a very heavy laravel php framework website!

10. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

agree with the last post, use mpm-event and php-fpm. def. forget about using mpm_prefork, it's going to be significantly slower and more resource hungry than mpm_event.
    i'd go with apache, simply because i barely know nginx and don't have the spare time to learn it properly.

the biggest speed issue with wordpress sites is not the server specs/config, it's wordpress, itself, or rather it's plugins/themes.
    only install well coded, well maintained plugins. only install plugins you need, and limit them to the area's they're needed, eg, you don't want contact form plugins adding code to load bits of itself in pages that don't contain contact forms.
    you can have a well designed/developed wordpress site running fast on a 2cpu / 4gb server, you can have a badly made wordpress site run like a dog on a 8cpu/96gb server.