FC3: apt-get upgrade-dist broke it

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by domino, Oct 8, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

I recently ran apt-get upgrade-dist (I think that's the command), and now I can not log into ssh. I think it also broke ISPConfig because all the site have disappeared from the control panel. I can still access all the sites remotely. The only problem I have is that I can not access SSH, meaning it is not running. I have webmin installed and I went into the filemanager to see if sshd and it's config was still around. ssh_config is still there, but sshd is MIA (can not locate). :mad: What can I do if I don't have physical access to the computer? If I had physical access, how can I get SSH back? Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can try to setup an FC3 system on your workstation with e.g. VMWare and copy the missing SSHD files to your server with webmin.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you have a rescue system on your server you could boot into that and try to repair the system...

4. domino

domino New Member

yea, looks like i have copy copy things from another server to it. I don't have a rescue system implimented because I didn't think an openssh update can scew everything up.

What about ISPC? It's still broke and I think it was because of the update. I'll post back in a couple of days with what ever happens.

5. till

You posted above that the sites have disappeared from the controlpanel. This can only be caused by changes in the mysql database.

6. domino

domino New Member

This is gonna be a fun couple of days :(. Never will I use apt-get again to update a perfectly working Fedora box. From what I rmember when I used apt-get, it did update SSHD. So I blame the updater for that. There's not a "Safe mode with network support" in Linux is there? :confused:

7. till

The problem is not apt-get. I assume you used the command apt-get dist-upgarde which will try to update to the next fedora version. Instaed using apt-get -u update is save and shows you the packages that shall be updated before the update.

I've updated a fedora 3 box with apt for over a year without problems.

8. domino

domino New Member

Well damn.. This is my first time to use apt-get and tried to update. I guess it was my fault for not looking into an application more before using it. Nonetheless, it will be my last time to use apt-get on a Fedora or RH system.

9. domino

domino New Member

Aftet several days of trying to fix my problem without any success, do you think I should go ahead and upgrade to FC4 rather than reinstall FC3? Will it break ISPConfig if I upgrade to FC4?

10. till

I've never done an distribution upgrade in Fedora with ISPConfig installed. Anyone else tested it?

11. domino

domino New Member

I'm betting on it will break ISPC. But there is only one way to find out. Will let you know what happened by this weekend. This box is a dev box so not too worried about reinstalling if it doesn't work.