FC4 Setup DNS and ISPCONFIG issues

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by The General, Apr 13, 2006.

1. The General

The General New Member

As you have gathered im am brand new to LINUX, and to ISPConfig but i love a challange and i have always wanted to have a secure working web server , butI think im just gonna give up LOL!

I have been converted to using the linux platform for a server by a friend, and to be honest i am a little bit lost in text entry, but it's a bit like my old MS-DOS V2.6 days!
    i have be reading all the threads for about a week and i just can't grasp it, and i was wondering if anyone have the time, to help me to get this to work? Don't worry im not looking for a perminant system engineer, but if i can get it to a working state, i know whatever happens i can always get it back to that by follwing the guides and a bit of luck!!!. I have listeded my major points below,

Kind regards

Bill Lightstone

This is my setup

(1) Smoothwall V2 fix 8

Hostname: smoothwall (should i change this)?

Green DHCP 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200
    Orange(DMZ) NIC:192.168.1.1
    Red ADSL though USB Speedtouch FIXED IP: 213.120.80.10

(2) Fedora core 4 and ISPConfig on P4 3Ghz on DMZ (ORANGE) at

IP:192.168.1.2 (eth0)
    IP:192.168.1.3 (eth0:0)
    Subnet:255.255.255.0
    Gateway set to :192.168.1.1 (as per smoothwall instructions)
    Primary DNS : 194.72.9.34 (My ISP's primary DNS)
    Secondary DNS: 62.6.40.178 (My ISP Secondary DNS)

(3) Ports forwarded from Smoothwall to 192.168.1.2 are:

53 tcp & udp,
    80 tcp
    81 tcp
    and all others listed in the ISPConfig firewall (any others please help)????????

(4) i have a domain registered called www.chelsev.com with www.1and1.co.uk ready and waiting for use for as you say in one of your threads "technical issues"!
    (5) i have a fixed ip address with BT (my ISP) for example call it : 213.120.80.10
    (6) i would like to know the following points if possible. im sure it would solve a lot of problems for a lot of other users as well as myself
    and maybe these questions could be posted onto a "howtoforge" thread afterwards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have no problems following the basic fedora core 4 HOWTO for ISPConfig (well i must do a bit)!, but there are a few things that you could clarify if possible please.

(Q1) when we set the hostname in the first page of the setup guide (your example): " server1.example.com " do i have to relate this to a NS address say: ns1.chelsev.com, or do i just put chelsev.com or does this name have no relivance to anything and is only relivant to local network?

(Q1a) do i have to register ns1.chelserv.com with the www.1and1.co.uk reg company or do i just enter it in to the "YOUR DNS SERVERS" boxes for www.chelsev.com with www.1and1.co.uk reg company?
    (Q1b) when we setup fedora and enter up to three DNS servers, do i have to set one DNS server to my fixed ip address?

(Q2) Also when we set the hostname on page3 is it nessesary if we have done the above in (Q1) if it is,
    Setting The Hostname

echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
    /bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname

Should this read for me

echo ns1.chelsev.com > /etc/hostname

or

echo chelsev.com > /etc/hostname

(Q3) These 2 warnings come up, do i ignore them?

quotacheck: WARNING - Quotafile //aquota.user was probably truncated. Can't save quota settings...
    quotacheck: WARNING - Quotafile //aquota.group was probably truncated. Can't save quota settings...

(Q4) When installing BIND i get the error

Updating : bind [3/8]warning: /etc/rndc.key created as /etc/rndc.key.rpmnew

Do i have to do anything with this new file before i go on follwing on with the DNS setup steps?

(Q5) openssl req -new -key smtpd.key -out smtpd.csr

When this is typed in i am asked lots of questions. Are any relivant to the install and working of ISPConfig I.E:Servers hostname should this be "WWW "or "ns1.chelsev.com"?

(Q6) when installing perl CPAN for the first time, it ask for PROXYS of FTP Etc Etc. Do i just put in the smoothwall gateway address of 192.168.1.1 and are these proxy's just for the installation of perl CPAN?

(Q7) Warning: prerequisite Net::IP 1.2 not found.
    Writing Makefile for Net::DNS
    ---- Unsatisfied dependencies detected during [O/OL/OLAF/Net-DNS-0.57.tar.gz] -----
    Net::IP
    Shall I follow them and prepend them to the queue of modules we are processing right now? [yes]

Y/N here??????????????????

Thats all questions on the FC4 basic setup (Thank God)!

Questions on ISPConfig installation

(Q8)

STEP 5: Generating X.509 certificate signing request for SERVER [server.csr]
    You are about to be asked to enter information that will be incorporated
    into your certificate request.
    What you are about to enter is what is called a Distinguished Name or a DN.
    There are quite a few fields but you can leave some blank
    For some fields there will be a default value,
    If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.
    -----
    1. Country Name (2 letter code) [XY]:GB
    2. State or Province Name (full name) [Snake Desert]:Gloucestershire
    3. Locality Name (eg, city) [Snake Town]:Cheltenham
    4. Organization Name (eg, company) [Snake Oil, Ltd]:Chelserv
    5. Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) [Webserver Team]:Technical
    6. Common Name (eg, FQDN) [www.snakeoil.dom]:
    Do i have to put in www.chelsev.com as a awnser to the highlighted line?

(Q9) Please enter the IP address of the ISPConfig web (e.g. 192.168.0.1): WHAT I.P. ADDRESS DO I PUT HERE? My internet gateway or ISPConfig server address?

(Q10) Please enter the host name (e.g. www):
    Please enter the domain (e.g. xyz.de):

What whould i put in these two boxes? www & chelsev.com or www & ns1.chelsev.com

MY Kind Regards

Bill Lightstone

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can use server1.chelsev.com or whateveryoulike,chelsev.com, but you must make sure that it exists in DNS and points to your public IP address 213.120.80.10.

You don't need to register it as you've registered chelsev.com, but you must create a DNS record for it in the authoritative name servers. Maybe 1&1 has given you a web interface where you can create the appropriate DNS entries?

No, you must provide real DNS servers. You can take those from the tutorial.

ns1.chelsev.com

That's normal, it happens always when you set up quota for the first time. Ignore it.

Ignore it for now.

You can use the default values. This is not relevant unless you want to use TLS, and even ten, it will still work.

Don't type in anything. Leave it blank.

Yes.

Yes, you can do that, but you can as well accept all default values.

Your ISPConfig server address.

www & chelsev.com or ns1 & chelsev.com or whatever you like, as long as its DNS records points to your public IP address.

3. The General

The General New Member

Thanks for a very propmt reply

Thank-you for the reply falko, i will try all this and then let you know.

4. retran

retran New Member

Please read my long-winded response about using domains purchased through 1and1 as domains to attach a subdomain as a DNS server.

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3694

I answer and explain important details like...
    one quesiton I have, is why on earth would you want your hostname to be ns1.something.com? That is likely not going to be a web address you wish to type in or anything you want to identify your machine as. It will just server as a "host domain" address with your registrar and your machine needn't be aware of the ns1.something.com designation at all in the least, because the registrar takes care of it!

5. retran

retran New Member

My final suggestion to you, is that if you really own chelsev.com, is to use the feature on 1and1 to use THEIR dns servers (at least until you have entirely configured your server) and create an A Record to chelsev.com pointing to your fixed IP address from BT, and then a subdomain A record to www.chelsev.com... And then proceed with your ISPConfig installation. Otherwise it will simply not work as ISPConfig checks that the world sees the main host as an IP addr on your machine during the install process.

Then and only then, configure a domain to set up as a "host domain" on your favoriate registrar that allows for such (basically any except 1and1, as I covered in the other thread). All you have to do to configure ns1.something.com to resolve to your machine as a DNS server is to configrue it as a "host domain" with your registrar. That is all. Nothing in ISPConfig, no A-Records, nothing else.

Also a little note:
    Whatever address you intend to direct users to for the ISPConfig panel (if that's only you, or many) you should probably want to make sure and have it be perfectly the same in your certificate or else many browsers give the "danger bad certificate" warning, instead of just simply the "unknown authority" warning!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  6. Crusader

Crusader New Member

DNS Problem

Hi,

I have a very similar setup, using FC4, ISPCONFIG and a few other bits and pieces.

All seems to be working ok until I try to do any networking stuff locally???

So, I have completed some of my own investigations. The following is a quick summary of my findings. If anyone out there can help, please do...

Logged in locally as root: -

# ping www.google.com
    ping: unknown host www.google.com
    #

(no response at all)

# nslookup www.google.com
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached.

Ok, so there is a problem with DNS.

The really wierd thing is that THIS server is my intranet DNS server and it is providing results to all other LAN machines.

On a desktop machine on same LAN (win 2K)

c:\> ping www.google.com
    Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=245
    Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=245

Just to prove this to myself, I stopped the DNS server and tried the DOS ping again and it failed. Proving that my DNS server is working!!! But not when I'm logged in locally to the DNS server???

So DNS is working ok on the linux box, but when logged in locally DNS is not working.

Am I missing something? Obviously I am, but what I cannot find!!!

Thanks in advance.
    Crusader.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /etc/resolv.conf?

8. Crusader

Crusader New Member

DNS Sorted

Thanks for the response Falko. I managed to sort it out. It was a gateway issue. I have just changed ISP and my router had not updated it's default gateway settings, therefore, causing the problem.

Thanks anyway,
    Crusader