FC5 and Filtering Spam into .Spam folder

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jason|xoxide, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jason|xoxide

jason|xoxide New Member

So, I setup a mail server with the how-to here but skipped the spam sections. I would now like to add that to my config, but I don't want to tag messages with a "[SPAM]" subject. Instead, I'd like them filtered into the IMAP spam folder with the subject intact.

Can anyone guide me on this?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. jason|xoxide

jason|xoxide New Member

So, I read through that page, as well as the one it linked to, and it seems like I need to use plus addressing and then have messages that are flagged forwarded to that address.

The problem that I'm having now, is that plus addressing doesn't seem to be working. I have yet to install the spam/virus filtering packages as per the how-to, but it should still work, right?

What currently happens is that an email sent to [email protected] just ends up delivered to the normal inbox. A copy of the directory for that user is as below:

Code:
    .Drafts/               courierimapkeywords/   cur/
    .Junk/                 courierimapsubscribed  maildirsize
    .Sent/                 courierimapuiddb       new/
    .Trash/                courierpop3dsizelist   tmp/

Is "jason+Junk" the correct format for this folder setup? Is there some other setting I need to change?

4. jason|xoxide

jason|xoxide New Member

Well, so far I've spent a day on this and haven't really gotten very far. It looks to me like I'll need another "mysql-virtual" script to turn "[email protected]" into "mydomain.com/jason/.Junk/" but I really don't have any clue as to how to go about doing it.

If I'm on the right track here, can someone help me out?

5. falko

6. jason|xoxide

jason|xoxide New Member

That setting is for forwarding spam to a different email address, correct? If so, I would still need to use plus addressing (unless there's something I'm missing here) and that isn't working for me.

In any case, I gave up (temporarily) on this plan and decided to just implement the how-to. On that, I was having problems up until about 5 minutes ago when I figured out what the malfunction was.

What was happening was that mail sent to the machine would just disappear into the void. When I changed the forward to 10025 from 10024 then the mail went through just fine. I ended up logging in to 10024 and manually sending a message. The result was that the 'file' command was missing. Since this was a "minimal" FC5 install, that command was not included. You may want to update the How-To to state that 'file' is needed, as is 'make' and 'gcc' (oh, and the link to DCC is dead, I had to get the file elsewhere).

I've now got spam filtering as per the How-To running but it's not doing a very good job. Messages that were caught by SpamBayes on my local machine are only receiving a score of 1.5-3, nowhere near enough to get tagged as spam. Any suggestions?

In any case, once I get that taken care of, I still want to filter messages into a different IMAP folder. If I don't need plus addressing, can you please explain how that would work?

7. jason|xoxide

jason|xoxide New Member

Wait... It might have only been one or two messages. It now looks like I'm getting messages in the high teens. I also tried sending a message with a known virus signature and that was blocked as it should have been. Back to the IMAP filtering I guess...

8. falko

I think you can also specify a directory to store the spam in.