Feature request: Migrating

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by shoevring, Jun 2, 2010.

1. shoevring

shoevring New Member

Hello.

It would be great if there was a migrating feature between multiservers, so if one site is going up, then the ispconfig moves the site to one bigger og better performance server or if a site does not have any traffic the site is moving to server with many sites where not active...

It would be very nice!

2. waibaihuo

waibaihuo New Member

Very nice idea. but it is a difficulent task too. :)

3. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

That's idd a nice idea, but i guess you'd need to start working with a shared storage, drbd, loadbalancers etc for this to work..

Don't forget, to move a site from a busy server you need to:
    - move the website (copied from busy server)
    - move the mailboxes (mysql) (copied from busy server)
    - move the users (mysql) (copied from busy server)
    - automagically setup configs (copied from busy server)
    - change your dns records
    - restart apache

Everything looks possible, though i'm stuck at the point where you need to change the dns records .. you can have a short TTL to have caching servers on the net refresh their records faster, but most won't even allow such a low TTL. They mostlikely ignore it and keep their own TTL

If you add a loadbalancer in the story, it'll make it a lot easier, you could just change the ip where the virtual ip is pointing to, reload LB and you're done.

Besided that, i don't know if you want to do all that on an already busy server. Keeping a DRBD running in the back, to keep a synced copy on the 2nd server and use that data would be much faster imho.

But again, nice idea .. it's functionality V-sphere (VMware) has ;) There you have a pool of available resources .. and the manager will assign the virtual machines to the resources it needs and the resources who can handle it .. if it get's to busy, it can autom. move the virtual machine to another resource. all without downtime .. the package costs only a few thousand dollars though ;-)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. vogelor

vogelor New Member

very very sophisticated

to migrate from one server to another is very hard to do.
    to migrate the web is not the problem, but how to migrate the mail-server with no downtime (ttl of dns!)

we discussed this feature many times but at this time there is no plan to implement it, because of the heaviness of this feature.

maybe you can take a look at openvz.:)

openvz is supported in the monitor of the SVN-Version of ISPConfig
    (DO NOT USE IT AT PRODUCTION SYSTEMS!!!)

with openvz migration from one hardware to another is no problem!

Olli

5. shoevring

shoevring New Member

But the DNS could automatic change the A records,

Its only the web and mysql i want to change,

All my customers using the mysql/phpmyadmin.xxx.xx and the ftp the same way.

So if it could migrate it could be very nice!

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Of course. But you will get requests to the old and new location for up to 48 hours then as dns records are cached by the dns servers of the internet access providers.

Thats the problem that Mark_NL alreyd pointed out in #3

applications like vmware vsphere can do it as they control the network level, so they do not switch a website to another server, they move the complete VM incl. the IP to another server. Thats quite easier as you dont have to change a dns record. This kind of moving around a setup can be done with openvz as well and might be supported in the ispconfig virtual server manager as well. But moving a single website without interruption is a much more difficult task.

7. shoevring

shoevring New Member

We could just copy the data to the new server and after 48 hours we delete the data from the old server .???

So no body can see the diffent!

Cool i think?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This will not work with most modern site that use cms systems, forums, blogs etc.

9. shoevring

shoevring New Member

In apache vhost file link to the another server files? and delete it after 48 hours?

Doing with ftp? Shared folders, like what?!

10. Wojtek1

Wojtek1 New Member

to override this simply before migrating add own IP for cursomer/site to migrate.
    and then after "ttl of dns" migrate all data with IP to another machine.
    i assume You are ISP with more than 1 IP network :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  11. shoevring

shoevring New Member

Public IP or private IP ?

Public IP's do we only have 255

12. Wojtek1

Wojtek1 New Member

in fact one IP (public) will enough to this operation:
    You have to migrate domain/client/web/mail/anything then You using "transport IP" and in dns whole zone pointing to this "transport IP"
    next You migrate client data with this IP to another server and in dns You make proper registration.
    Afer that transport IP is free to migrate another client.

I think beter way to every customer give own IP and problem solved ...
    If You heave to few IP ... write ripe.net and fill form for next IP class

13. shoevring

shoevring New Member

My colleague gave me an idea.

Why not just use a virtual router for this?

For example, we have a router which has the following ip: 10.0.0.1

If we make all A records for the 10.0.0.1 (for all domains)

As soon as there comes a demand for "test.com" then sends the router via the router table them to the server that is plugged into the router table.

Thereby, we can move files to servers without having to make new dns records or something similar.

This will be an attractive way of doing things ..