fedora 7 config

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zoish, Oct 4, 2007.

1. zoish

zoish New Member

hi all

i am new here and know a bit of linux(not much). i have just installed fedora 7 on my laptop and it works fine.

all i am trying to do is to set up my servers and practice that is why i set it up on my laptop, i give you some more details what i have and what i am trying to achieve:

i have an static ip: 87.74.241.107
    a domain: zoish.net
    a home router very basic one
    and a few computers which networked by this router.

what i am trying to a acheive:

to set up my file, mail, web and ftp servers.

i know there are some materilas out there i can go through and i have done but it is not working and i can not access my server from outside.

i hope somebody can walk me through how to set up my server in plain english so it would be accassible from outside world.

do i need more than one ip address?
    do i have to set up my own dns?

please tell me how i can get started and connect to outside world.

thanks in advance

2. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

I have a very similar setup as you. I have one static IP address, a router and several computers on my LAN. For you to be able to access the services that your linux box is serving, you will need make some changes to your routers firewall. I am assuming that your router has a built in firewall. For example, I have one really nice linux server running apache, sql, bind, postfix, etc and I am using ISPConfig on that server. On my router, I have set my firewall to forward all traffic coming in from the internet on the bind port (53) to be sent to my linux server. The same for email ports, http, https, etc. So when I go to www.mydomain.com, the DNS traffic is routed through my firewall and right to my box. I have ssh forwarded to a different box that is on my lan.

I am probably not explaining this well, but I hope it helps. Feel free to contact me if you need help with it. I will lend a hand if you need. I will just need to know what type router you have...

Devin

dtrotter (at) an43 (dot) com

3. zoish

zoish New Member

hi Devin

thank you for your help, first of all i have to go to my router control panel and give an static ip to my server is it right?

once i have done that i have to make some changes to /etc/host.conf and some other files, am i right?

that is how i understand it and that is the only way i can access the server from outside world!

please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks any way for your help.

Jimmy

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You must forward all needed ports (e.g. 80 for http, 25 for smtp, etc.) from your router to your server(laptop). Or, if your router has a DMZ feature, put your server into the DMZ.

5. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

Yes, what Falko said... I prefer not to put my server in a DMZ and forward all the needed ports only. So, yes, assign your server a static internal IP and then forward the needed ports to that internal IP Address.

Devin

6. zoish

zoish New Member

thanks guys, i have a rubish router origo 8400 but i managed to assaign an internal ip address 10.0.0.3 and works across the network fine.

my router hasnt got any dmz zone and i forwarded some port to this internal ip address.

one more question though:

about my domain zoish.net when i modify the dns for this domain i should point it to my external static ip 87.74.241.107 rather than my server internal static ip shouldnt i?

and one last thing can you recommand any decent cisco router for my office and running a server?

thanks for your help so far that was great guys.

:)

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's right.