Fedora 7 GUI interface not starting

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by azteca2137, Oct 21, 2008.

1. azteca2137

azteca2137 Member

Recently we updated Fedora 6 to 7, we have ISPConfig installed, after restore the ISPConfig database we restart the server, all the services seem to be working ok, but the GUI never started, we can only see the mouse cursor theoretically working.

As long as the server works, I don't care about the GUI interface, but I know that eventually need to fix it, is there a way to start the server disabling the GUI interface for backup?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please remove the line
    SENDMAIL/ANY/SHELL
    from /etc/shells.

3. azteca2137

azteca2137 Member

The problem is that I can't access the server, it get stuck trying to run the GUI interface, is there a way to disable it at the start up, like a Safe Mode start in windows?

Thanks for the help

4. falko

You can connect to it using an SSH client such as PuTTY, and then you can edit /etc/shells and reboot the system afterwards.

5. azteca2137

azteca2137 Member

That worked just perfectly, thank you Falko

Do you have any idea of what could happened?

6. falko

For some reason Fedora doesn't like the line SENDMAIL/ANY/SHELL in /etc/shells, but I don't know why...

7. akash011

akash011 New Member

installed in ISP

we have ISPConfig installed, after restore the ISPConfig database we restart the server, all the services seem to be working ok, but the GUI never started,

8. falko

Did you check /etc/shells?