Fedora 8 Perfect Server cannot connect to Windows Shares

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jkrell, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jkrell

jkrell New Member

I have two Fedora 8 machines. One is setup following the "Perfect Desktop" howto from this site, the other is setup as the "Perfect Server". I also have a Vista machine with one folder shared. Here's the situation:

1. When I am on the Perfect Desktop, I can connect to my Vista share by typing in the computer name (not the IP address) and the name of the share (i.e., "Computer1" and "SharedFolder"). Doing this gets me straight into the shared folder with full read/write access. FYI, I have the share set up to allow full access to everyone -- no username/password required.

2. When I am on the Perfect Server, I cannot connect using the above method. Instead, I must use the IP address of the Vista computer. For some reason, it cannot resolve the computer name (i.e., "Computer1") to the IP address (i.e., 192.168.15.100). Instead, I have to type in the IP address instead of the computer name. Doing this, I can get in. The problem is I do not want to setup a static IP for the Vista computer, so I need to figure out what is going on.

The only difference between the configuration of the two systems is one is just a desktop and the other is a server. Obviously, hardware is different but that should not play a factor here.

I have looked in /etc/hosts on both Fedora machines and they are virtually identical, which is to say neither of them specifically reference the Vista machine. Again, I do not want to deal with this that way because I do not want the Vista machine to have a static IP.

Any thoughts?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you compare the /etc/resolv.conf files on the server and desktop?

3. jkrell

jkrell New Member

The desktop (which can connect using just the computer name) says:

#Generated by Network Manager

nameserver 192.168.1.1

The server (which needs the IP address and cannot resolve the computer name) says:

search -------------------.com (where ------------------ is my website name)
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

Any ideas?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you comment out the search line?

5. jkrell

jkrell New Member

I did that and I still get a "Cannot display contents of folder" or something like that. Connecting with the IP address still works. I made sure I am doing it the same way on both computers, and I am -- the desktop gets right in but the server has trouble for some reason.