Fedora 9 not updating

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by Mosquito, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito New Member

Has anyone else had problems updating Fedora 9 recently? I realized last night that I hadn't downloaded any new updates for any packages in about 2-3 weeks.

Code:
    yum update

Didn't find any package updates either. I've cleared the yum cache but still haven't had any updates. Does any one have any ideas?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you try this?

Code:
    yum clean all
    yum makecache
    Does the system have a working Internet connection?

3. Mosquito

Mosquito New Member

Yes. I am able to browse the internet, install new software via yum, connect to other hosts via SSH.

I ran the commands you recommended and then reran a yum update. It still says there are no packages available to update. It sounds like I am up to date - but I have not installed any updates in several weeks.

4. falko

Maybe there have really been no updates - unfortunately I have no running Fedora 9 system to verify that...

5. Mosquito

Mosquito New Member

I suppose that's possible. 3 weeks is a while to go without anything though, isn't it?

Thanks for the help. I'll update this again when/if I get any updates.

6. falko

7. Mosquito

Mosquito New Member

Thanks Falko. I actually just saw this too, but I saw it in this article:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3770216/The+Fedora-Red+Hat+Crisis.htm

Thanks for the update though. I suppose I'll wait to see what happens, but from the article above, it says the Fedora team is working to resign their package keys and distribute them to the Fedora mirrors. Its been almost 3 weeks since the original incident, so hopefully those keys are released soon so updates can be downloaded.

8. Mosquito

Mosquito New Member

Last update - this has been resolved. The Fedora community released new packages to direct away from the potentially compromised signed packages. The update process requires the user to run the update process twice.
    Code:
    yum update

The first update installs the new repository with a newly signed packages. Once the first update is installed, the second update will bring your system back up to date.

Fedora Project Update

If you are running Fedora 8 or 9, it is important that you do this so that you will continue to receive updates for your system.