Fedora Core 4 - The Perfect Setup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by nandhu, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nandhu

nandhu New Member

http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4/index.php

Hi Falko,

I went through your article on Perfect Setup of FC4. Thanks a lot for such a nice article. Me personally need to know few more steps of how about going with few more tools which would help me to add Virtual email domains and then email accounts for those virtual domains. Also is there any web based tools that I could use to add/edit/delete the domains, virtual domains and email accounts. Like vpopmail and vqadmin for qmail.

Also more importantly are there any tools that I could get to install with the above article mentioned setup to have access to emails to the email accounts created using the above mentioned domains and virtual domains. Something like Squirrel Mail or Horde or should there be anything else available.

Could you please kindly add instructions on how to add a web based tool like vqadmin/vpopmail and web based email access using squirrel/horde or anything else?

Basically I'm trying to setup a Mailserver on my ADSL connection at home. And I've 3 domains registered, so i want to be able to use all the 3 domains from this single email server.

Also I hope your instructions in the article will help me to install the mail server on my AMD x86_64 bit Athlon system.

Many thanks for your kind help.

Nanda.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi Nanda,

have you tried ISPConfig? It provides Website, Domain and email management with a web based interface.

Till

3. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Thanks Till. This evening I'm going to follow this article fully and will also install ISPConfig.

Could you please put down some lines here for installing ISPConfig. I don't think Falko's article explains that bit in detail?

Also I just took a look at a demo of ISPConfig, yes it is a very good one. But
    there is no web email access for the users. Say if I create a virtual email domain like xyz.com on my mail server mail.myserver.com. Then how can a user with email id: [email protected] can login by web like yahoo email or hotmail and check his emails. So I need an web based email tool like that. I know squirrel mail and horde do that for qmail through courier-imap, but i could not get to install qmail using qmailtoaster or qmailrocks. Everytime I try to install following the instructions given at qmailrocks, I get errors while compiling courier-auth section.

After hours and hours of search and googling, I could not get anywhere, so I'm going to follow Falko's article this evening. But then I do not know how to link SqMail or Horde with the installation of Falko's, so I was wondering if there is any other webmail that I could use straight forward with this article's setup or I'm also happy if install of SqMail and Horde will be working straightway with this setup.

In anycase I'll give my try and will update this area.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks for your reply earlier.

Nanda.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. nandhu

nandhu New Member

6. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Hi,

When I ran the command
    apt-get cyrus-sasl-gssapi

I got back a message saying cannot find cyrus-sasl-gssapi

Is there anyother rpm source needs to be added to sources.list?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Nanda.

7. falko

No, you need these 3 lines in /etc/apt/sources.list:
    Code:
    rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/4/i386 core updates freshrpms
    rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/4/i386 tupdates
    rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 core updates freshrpms
    Run
    Code:
    apt-get update
    after you've changed /etc/apt/sources.list.

But you don't need cyrus-sasl-gssapi for doing plain and login authentication with Postfix so you can leave it out.

8. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Thanks Falko.

I' think I did apt-get update, but probably I did it without updating the sources.list as you expected.

I'll redo this bit today and will update this area.

Thanks.

- Nanda.

9. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Thanks Falko.
    apt-get worked like a charm.

Cheers

- Nanda.

10. Jester

Jester New Member

hey im new to linux but i wanna setup a web server on 1 of my old computers
    ive been following the "The Perfect Setup - Fedora Core 4" guide and i finished installing but wen i type /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 i get permission denied. and the next step it says create this file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0 how do you create the file?

i know its prolly the noobiest questions ever but id really like to learn this and set up a web server.

11. till

I guess you are using a GUI editor from Gnome or KDE? Please use an shell editor like vi or joe to edit the configuration files. With GUI editors you might get permisiion denied errors even when run as root.

To create an empty file, you can use the command:

touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0

or use an editor of your choice if you want put some text in the file.

12. falko

13. betablue

betablue New Member

Yet, any "perfect" setup guide defeats its purpose if the instructions are incomplete.

Assumption, that the user knows the any commands is wrong.
    It creates confusion and unnecesary questions, that could be avoided by providing accurate step-by-step instructions (including commands issued during the process)

When I followed this gudide I was under impression, that there was a missing page after initial reboot (Page 2)

There was no mention about Login as root (local or remote) and from theoretical assumtion how the file looks it says: "Now we want to create the virtual interface eth0:0"... " (No mention how to do it)

The guide would be great if these "holes" were filled with proper content.

BTW: sending people off to read instructions somewhere else on the internet defeats the purpose of publishing such guide at all.

14. till

1) The howtos where complete and many users have used them successfully. They provide step by step instructions to setup a server, not to learn linux in general. Providing instructions on how to edit a file where not in the scope of a howto for server setups.
    2) The link that Falko posted is not anywhere in the Internet, its in the FAQ from Howtoforge.

15. falko

This is a "copy & paste" tutorial which means if you copy and paste the commands and don't make any typos it will work out of the box. It did for me many times; if it doesn't work for you, then I'm sure you did something wrong.

However, the instructions are complete. If you tell me exactly where you're having problems then I might be able to help you.

16. betablue

betablue New Member

I was referring to the Jesters' post saying:
    That is exactly the point I am referring to as a weekness of this guide. (I don't mean to criticize it, but make a sugestion to make it better and easier to understand for people new to linux, who wand to migrate from "redmond".

as the guide says:
    So, you reboot the computer and then you see a login promt on the black screen. Now what? (guide doesn't say)

I guess Login as a root using password previously chosen is the only option.
    OK.
    - You said it's a copy and paste guide. Great! How do I copy and where do I copy from?
    Two options:
    1. If guide is printed - I can re-type, that's fine.
    2. If I have another computer with guide in the web browser I can re-type again.
    (Guide does not tell us to use PUTTY at this moment)
    Let's say we connect with PUTTY to the servers' IP (comes up with a security warning - that may confuse the user)
    Now we use root login and pass and we get the prompt

If at this moment we copy and paste the line from the guide:
    the system will respond with the error: "permission denied" as Jester stated and it is not the matter of using GUI editor from Gnome or KDE as Till have sugested in his response.

I think it should be more like:
    then remember to edit IP's in the lines quoted
    before copying and pasting it to your server.
    Make sure to enter the Insert mode (i) in the editor before pasting, as otherwise all characters before "i" will be lost from the pasted text.
    To save the file, press :x (you must not be in Insert mode. If you are, press ESC to leave it).
    Press :q to leave the file (but you must not be in Insert mode).

I didn't test this guide any further, so I'll delay my comments 'till after I'll do it.

The attitude: This wasn't written to teach you linux doesn't cut it. As you can see, neebees are trying to use those guides and get stuck in the middle.
    It is only decrimental to their interrest with linux.

17. falko

I guess you don't have any other option than logging in as root...

At the top of http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4 it reads:

But I didn't tell anyone to run
    Code:
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    I say

Now it's up to you how you create that file. vi is not the only possibility (and I think it wouldn't be good to mention vi to newbies - they'd have difficulties to use it). You could also create that file on your Windows workstation and copy it to your server with WinSCP, or you could use echo commands to create the file, etc.

I understand what you mean, but when I write a tutorial it's sometimes very hard for me to imagine what people can do wrong. I'm trying my best to prevent anyone from doing mistakes, but they are always inventing methods that I can't even dream of... ;)

18. betablue

betablue New Member

I agree, as I was told many times
    "you can't make something completly "idiot-proof", because someone will always invent a better idiot."
    but at least we can try to make it more difficult for them to do so. (meaning try to cover most obvious points, where problems may occur)

I have noticed that the logical flow of the guide was broken at that point (what to do after installation ends and computer re-boots), so I thought to point it out, as there was a question posted specifically relating to that point.

I agree, you did not specifically tell anyone to run that line, but it also didin't say what else to do with it (so to people unfamiliar with linux it may imply to run it - as did it to Jester).

Now, if someone follows this thread, it sure will clear a lot of things for them, but it would be nice if that info was already in the guide.

19. betablue

betablue New Member

OK, I went a little further on this install following the guide and have noticed that there is more similar issues with the edit of files (maybe general edit procedure should be explained somewhere if no exact commands/instructions are given)

I used vi to create/edit needed files and it worked just fine.

When I got to the line:

in the "Install some Perl Modules needed by SpamAssassin" section an obsticle occured:
    there was no promt to enable/disable tests and as it went on and it returned an error:

Any ideas what't up with it?

All others (HTML::parser, DB_File, Digest::SHA1) report as "up to date"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  20. falko

Maybe you've overseen it. It is there, so you should try again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.